Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

• I clean their coop regularly

Votes: 147 62.6%
  • I use sand on the coop floor to keep it dry and odorless

Votes: 50 21.3%
  • I have electric fly zappers in the coop

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I grow carnivorous plants around the coop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use fans around the coop to keep the air moving

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I keep waterers out of the coop to avoid moisture

Votes: 69 29.4%
  • I clean up their left-over snacks and treats

Votes: 53 22.6%
  • I eliminate stagnant & pooling water

Votes: 74 31.5%
  • I breed fly predators such as non-stinging wasps

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I've placed my compost pile far away from the coop & run

Votes: 62 26.4%
  • I use fly traps

Votes: 77 32.8%
  • I clean/dust their coop with repellants and/or pesticides

Votes: 32 13.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters
Hello another person in Florida. I use fly tape. It works so well. Try to keep things dry. There are many fly traps but the tape is the best. I would put a little scoop up the poop under it and bam the flies stick. When I throw it away I put it is a Publix bag and flies in the trash cans get stuck to it too.
Oh also we Permithrin spray our yard 2 times a week. You can get it at the store and the mixing is on the label. They stuff kills the mosquitoes to. We use our hose to rinse nine the chicken poop so the fly’s can’t sit on it. If you sprinkle diatomaceous earth food grade around your yard it will kill them too.

I sprinkle DE on top of the litter and sometimes use Bronco Equine fly repellant on surfaces and Ecosmart flying insect killer on the flies. Both have natural, safe ingredients.

I was told to use vanillaroma so that's all I've used. Not a fly in sight. I hang one in my garage as well cuz I used to always get wasps and bees in there. Keeps them out as well.
I guess I can relate to the flies. I don't like vanilla scented products either. I love the real thing though.

The fly predators from Spalding are very helpful!
Also dusting the nest boxes and floor under the bedding with permethrin helps. And things need to be dry, not wet, as much as possible.
Actually the chickens do eat fly larva, and help keep fly numbers down in the barn.
Mary
permethrin should never be used in proximity to eggs (egg boxes when chickens have access to lay in them)If you must use permethrin, it should not be allowed to contact the eggs. Fresh nesting materials or a clean pad should cover any permethrin used. Pyrethrin is safe and unfortunately less effective, to use in the nest boxes and on the chickens. I suggest people always thoroughly read the pesticide labels and err in favor of safety in regards to the food we eat! Permethrin dust is approved for use on chickens but not on eggs or eggs in close contact with the dust, in regards to the dust treated surfaces. I use diatomaceous earth for larvae control and pyrethrin (natural safe insecticide derived from flowers) on the birds and in their nest boxes. Used Proactively as a preventative, it controls mites ands lice and flys for me very well, used along with fly traps and good sanitation.

permethrin should never be used in proximity to eggs (egg boxes when chickens have access to lay in them)If you must use permethrin, it should not be allowed to contact the eggs. Fresh nesting materials or a clean pad should cover any permethrin used. Pyrethrin is safe and unfortunately less effective, to use in the nest boxes and on the chickens. I suggest people always thoroughly read the pesticide labels and err in favor of safety in regards to the food we eat! Permethrin dust is approved for use on chickens but not on eggs or eggs in close contact with the dust, in regards to the dust treated surfaces. I use diatomaceous earth for larvae control and pyrethrin (natural safe insecticide derived from flowers) on the birds and in their nest boxes. Used Proactively as a preventative, it controls mites ands lice and flys for me very well, used along with fly traps and good sanitation.
Thank you for the info! We haven't and aren't planning on using permetherin, and the DE and some fly traps have been working really well! We also switched to fine wood chips from tractor supply for the small enclosed run area, , and while a bit more dusty, are much easier to clean out the poop from each morning with a long narrow rake. We also set up a larger outdoor run in our yard, where there was already redwood mulch. Seems to be working!

Good info but… Keep in mind that these natural insecticides are better then the chemical poisons because they break down easily. They are not harmless. And should be avoided too if you don’t need them to keep you’re flock healthy. A bigger run , fewer chickens or free ranging often is a better solution to keep a healthy flock.

Back
Top Bottom