Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

• I keep things as dry as possible inside the coop

Votes: 266 66.0%
  • I use lime on my coop floors

Votes: 38 9.4%
  • I've installed a box fan for air circulation

Votes: 38 9.4%
  • I hang fragrant herbs such as basil, mint, lavender, etc around the coop

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • I regularly clean out anything that is soiled or moist

Votes: 230 57.1%
  • My coop is well-ventilated

Votes: 252 62.5%
  • I use Sweet PDZ Coop Refresher in the coop

Votes: 96 23.8%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 14.1%

• Total voters
I clean all of the poop out weekly (I only have four hens so there is not a smell unless I leave it longer than a week) and spread some sweet pzd in both the coop and the run.

I do many of the things listed such as keeping the coop dry, using dried and fresh herbs, using lime, daily or at least every other day poop scooping(not all but some at least),& I regularly spray with various essential oil mixes for various reasons such as wasp and fly repelling naturally etc. Plus, they are only locked in at night, so during the day they are mostly outside. That probably helps the most! But, my coop still doesn't smell like fresh laundry!😉

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_150536473_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210220_150536473_HDR.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 22
I use riced straw. My coop has two big doors on both sides. One for the chickens and a larger one for me to crawl in and clean it out and collect eggs. Seven of my chickens sleep on top and two inside. (Don't worry, the coop in inside a very large run, which is more like a yard and they are locked in, so they are safe. As most of the chickens are not in the run a lot, it stays pretty clean, but I still throw out any poop daily. The doors offer a lot of ventilation.

I use the deep litter method with fine pine shavings. I only completely change the bedding in the spring, yet there is rarely an odor. Everything is very well ventilated. About once a month, I work Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry into the shavings. When I feed wet treats (fruit, pumpkin, vegetables, etc), I place them in a large saucer for a plant pot and remove them when the girls begin to lose interest. The run has a corrugated plastic roof with a large overhang to keep everything dry.

In addition to ventilation, keeping things dry, cleaning, etc... I also scatter dried organic rose petals in the coop from time to time. They spend most of their time ranging, so that helps.

I do many of the things listed such as keeping the coop dry, using dried and fresh herbs, using lime, daily or at least every other day poop scooping(not all but some at least),& I regularly spray with various essential oil mixes for various reasons such as wasp and fly repelling naturally etc. Plus, they are only locked in at night, so during the day they are mostly outside. That probably helps the most! But, my coop still doesn't smell like fresh laundry!😉
Love the coop! Cute

Love the coop. Cute AF!🤣

I have a large poop sling that runs the width of the coop under the perch. I layer pine shavings in the sling which I clean out a couple of times a year. I also have great ventilation and a fan in the summer. Any time I can smell it I add another layer of pine shavings. I also put smooth River Rock throughout the chicken yard which allows the rain to wash the poop away. Again, if there’s a smell I cover the ground in pine shavings. I live in a subdivision. My neighbors can hear my girls, but they can’t smell them.

Your coop is amazing!!! Lucky ladies living the good life!

Back
Top Bottom