Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say I really have a system. Sometimes I just give them random names that I think suit them (like Rocky, Peppa, and Bunny). Sometimes they are food related (Like Mango, Papaya, Ginger, Peaches, and Omelette). Sometimes I give them names based on their appearance (Like Marble and Oreo the BRs, and Penny the RIR). Sometimes the name is kind of a combination (like Scrambles. She was named after scrambled eggs, but also because she always ran away when she was little. Or Cheeks, she has muffs, but she was really cheeky as a chick). Or sometimes I name them after book or movie characters (like Maisie (an RIR), I named her after a red hen in a book I loved when I was little).

It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
It depends, sometimes because of their looks, or in relation to something funny from a movie or TV series or because of their abilities.
For example we have four white chickens, so we named the group White Chicks (like the comedy movie) one's Lisa, the other Karen and the Torie , the last one we were not sure how to name her lol. Then my favorite and most friendly chicken is Ukla (as in Thundar the Barbarian Ukla the Mok, because I wanted her to be strong and be able to defend hersel); our Rooster's name is Champion because he's fended off many predators and invaders; one adopted chicken had been seriously pecked and we wanted her to become beautiful so we called her Bella.

I pick names of movie and TV characters and food related names. Just a few are Jarjar, Buckbeak, Hagrid, Lois, Meg, Noodles, Butters, Tweek. The roosters: Stewie, Spatchcock, General Tso and Little Jerry Seinfeld.
Hey I have a Buckbeak too! Mine is a blue Andalusian. What is yours?
2EA6D992-5E07-41E3-B3C3-71709467E62A.jpeg

I suppose there isn't really much to the naming of my birds. Except that I have a theme of naming after plants,trees, and a few randos like Blanch and Pidgy 😅 I am on this tree and mushroom trend though. I let my Lav Orp (Wisteria) hatch out one of my Black Australorp eggs (Amanita) so I was thinking about keeping this mushroom thing going. If it's a hen I'll name it Crimini or porcini if it's a male Portobello 😅 and an egg of my speckled sussex (Cedar) will name it along the lines of some sort of evergreen or spruce/pine so on and so forth. I feel a trend building and going strong 😅

I checked several boxes and “other”. Character names or just name by association. Sometimes we go the long way around to get to a name and forget how the trip even started. Example: I have a gleaming white bantam Cochin. Snowball is too easy. Something ghost related maybe? So there’s a cartoon with a ghost character named High Five Ghost because he has a constant high five sticking out of his ghost sheet head. Google it. I promise I’m not making this up. Since this ghost is a white sheet my chicken is now High Five. The cartoon is “Regular Show”. There’s nothing regular about it. My kids loved it when they were little.

It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I don't have a system. I have several named after their colors (scarlet lavender and violet) I have a Henny Penny because everyone has a Henny Penny lol, I have a "bumble" because she got bumblefoot, I have a "pecker head" because she is a pecker lol. The. We have "Jupiter Mars venus Neptune and Pluto" my daughter named. I have a bad molter I named sinead, lol. It's just a matter of a bit of all of the options, and whatever stands out about the chicken lol. Oh yeah I also have a "Millie and her sister vanillie" lol.

Back
Top Bottom