Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Our first 3 chickens were already named Sesame (black australorp), Marmalade (Buff Orpington) and Pumpernickel (Easter Egger, she is the one pictured). Only Marmalade's name made any sense to us. But we kept the food theme going when we got 2 RIR's a couple weeks later: BeefSteak and Paprika, named by the kids. The most fun were the baby chicks the following year, which we tried to be creative with and relate to them somehow: Crisco (white australorp), Oreo (Barred Rock), Pesto ( Olive Egger), Sourdough (another Easter Egger - because Pumpernickel is also an Easter Egger), and lastly, Struesel, a Cinnamon Queen. We do love them all!

Last edited:
Most of my birds are simply named 'Dinner', but several have earned a better name in one manner or another. I have Big Daddy (head rooster, leghorn mutt, excellent with his girls and the chicks), Pretty Boy (second in command, cockerel, brown, black & copper colored EE barnyard mix), Beatles (black naked neck started pullet / EE cross, so named because the feathers on her head make her look like the 'mop top' hairstyle that the music group The Beatles were famous for), Alaska (americauna / EE mix hen, so named because her body is rich, dark black, her head is also black, but her neck feathers are mixed black and gold stripes... Alaska is the 'land of the midnight sun'), Penny (americauna / EE mix pullet, looks a lot like Alaska, but instead of gold stripes she's blessed with dark copper and black plumage on her neck).

We made a whole list of possible names before we even got our first chicks 🤣
We have/had Torchic and Pidgey (bird Pokemon), Opal and Onyx (gemstones), River Song (from Dr Who), Holly, Clover, Ivy, and Sage (plants), Hazel (old fashioned name that we liked), Nutmeg (Speckled Sussex color), Cricket (smallest and fastest chick), Rex ( from Star Wars Clone Wars), Peanut (our hatchery packing peanut), Pippin (from Lord of the Rings), Phantom (very light grey), Luna (very light grey) and Comet ( thought he would be black and wanted a space related name. He is barred, but we're keeping the name anyway🙂)

It depends, we usually name them based on groups.

Our first batch were completely random, our kids named them Peepers, Nugget, Fluffball, Feathers, and Blue.

We then named our second bath of three after nintendo princesses.

Our third batch of five, my husband named after the spice girls.

Our fourth batch was named after the color purple: Amethyst, Lilac, and Lavender.

Our frizzled pullet my daughter named after Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus.

Our other pullet we got for our daughter because she was heartbroken about having to rehome our cockerels; she named her Moon Pie.

Our most recent batch our daughter named after the four My Little Pony princesses. 😆

We also have two other girls, but they were prenamed by their previous owner.

Its random and all over the place for us, but we tend to name in pairs by breed when we have them. This years SLWs were hellions in the brooder, so they are Joan and Jet. Our two EEs are named after characters from Bob's Burgers.
Others past and present: Red, Bitty, Grady, Maude, RC, Betsy, Daisy, Thomas T, and Blondie. My son named our rooster Corndog, but unfortunately he became dangerous so he had to go.

I like old fashioned names for my girls. If my girl dies with a certain name then I retire that name because that name seems unlucky. Now my flock have following names; Ethel, Esme, Cordelia, Harriet & Myrtle.

Attachments

• 9638F7DB-6192-422F-873E-390F8D55AFFA.jpeg
    9638F7DB-6192-422F-873E-390F8D55AFFA.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 27655483-7BD6-4043-88B3-7795CD16F90E.jpeg
    27655483-7BD6-4043-88B3-7795CD16F90E.jpeg
    884.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 55B31EE5-4DB1-4771-A756-A21198FC972F.jpeg
    55B31EE5-4DB1-4771-A756-A21198FC972F.jpeg
    622.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom