Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Hey I have a Buckbeak too! Mine is a blue Andalusian. What is yours?View attachment 2868542
Beautiful bird!
Mine are future names. I won't have chicks until Spring. I have a long list of names for the chick. The coop, run, brooder area, rooster area will have a hospital theme: Chicken Wing General, physical therapy, OB and the ward respectively. Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands

We name our laying hens after people names (ex. Rose, Emily, Piper). My friends who come over usually end up picking out their favorite chicken (usually cockerels) to name and name it whatever they want (ex. Spunky, Frog, Salt). But for our breeding program, we don’t name until we figure out if we will keep them or not (we usually give them each their own leg band of a specific color), but always name them like you would a human as well (ex. Xavier, Cassie, Georgie).

Wow, this is a too cute thread!
Well, i have had chickens for 10 years and i used various systems to name them.

My first chickens were called some by their appearence (one was Giada, that means Jade in italian because she had green eyes. one other Ciocca, that was a word like Chocolate in italian because she was very brown, and so on), and some for their attitudes.
For example, one was called Pantaloncina, from "Pantaloni" that in Italian means trousers, because she always pecked my trousers.
One of them had a name that just popped in my mind, Marina. She is 10 years old now! :love

My four new chickens were named in pairs. A couple of two silkies were called Batì and Batù, and two young blackstars that were sister Mì and Nuì. Mì+Nuì = Minuì, that means Midnight in french. This is all! :oops::gig

By matching their looks and personalities with names of interesting people or characters.

Greta (inspired by Greta Thunberg): I'm Norwegian so this name is for my feeling quite traditional and has an old fashioned ring to it, but is also very much in the wind at the moment. It's a beautiful name bit with a sturdy and practical feeling to it.

Kali (inspired by the Hindu goddess): Kali is sanskrit and actually means black. So this was a black chicken with a very thin white necklace (birchen). The goddess Kali is also mostly drawn wearing a necklace of skulls. Our chicken Kali was also the unquestioned leader from the very beginning (and she was fantastic), she was also extremely persistently broody, she laid her eggs at the same time every morning and she died very suddenly and unexpectedly. I suppose that's what you get when you borrow the name of the goddess of time, death and "ultimate reality" :rolleyes: she lived it out completely.

Aart(inspired by Aart Staartjes): my friend named this one. It is actually a male name, and specifically named after a Dutch actor and TV personality "Aart Staartjes" who had just died. He is part of the Dutch sesame Street, as far as I've understood. We'll, our Aart is the chattiest and clumsiest little ball of fluff I've ever met, super social, a little clown, slightly eccentric, very friendly and for some reason I can not begin to comprehend she is the leader of the flock (protected by the fierce Greta as beta hen). And although no one really minds all her rambling, she sort of gets everything her way eventually.

Björk (like the Icelandic singer, and also after bjørk which is Norwegian for birch): her beautiful silver double lacing made me think of the birch trees back home, they are my favourite trees. And i think the singer is a multitalented and very interesting woman who I gladly name my chicken after.

Frida (after Frida Kahlo): it took me some time to name her, she is the lowest ranked of my birds but also the bravest in a way. She makes her own fun, and loves to steal a snack and run off with it. She is the fastest of then all and she seems actually pretty smart! She also looks really beautiful! Well, somehow Frida has a bit of a cheeky rebellion ring to it, and although she is at the bottom she is also the cheekiest. There is something sort of childish about her, and she gets bored before any of the others. I think she turns to some of the same "Magical Realism" as Frida Kahlo did in the 40's.

Back
Top Bottom