Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 6.9%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 79 16.5%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 116 24.3%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.4%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 166 34.7%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 153 32.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 157 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
My girls are named for Disney characters! Two barred rocks named Ursula and Ella (Cruella). Two Easter Eggers named Remy and Coco. Two Welsummers named Merida and Briar Rose. Two GLW named Buckeye and Nugget (they didn't get Disney names because they were supposed to go to someone else but I fell in love lol) and Rapunzel is a Cochin and last but not least, Willow Orpington.
20220526_200235.jpg

Uwww, I LOVE naming things (even automobiles; usually male names). I use whatever comes to my head. For instance, I had a Great Pyrenees that I names "Fruitquake" from a guy I met as a young woman while visiting Detroit. Uw, thanks for the reminder I'm going to have to name one of my cockarels that name. I kinda vowed to always have a Fruitquake as part of our herd, stock, animals.

My buff orps remind me of one of my girlfriend named Laura. Since all four look alike, they are ALL named "Laura". One of my fave breeds is Brahma. I promised self first recognition of a cockarel will be named Samson. How appropriate for a big ole Brahma bird.

I have a NN now who got hurt. A boo boo on his neck. I named him Horatio. Thank goodness he is a boy, LOL! And so on it goes. Whatever I think of. Uwww, how about Crunchsnot. Yeah, that's a good name.

Last edited:
I love to name my birds with old fashion. English names… or after certain authors or historical names/Nick names…. For example I name the top/biggest hen Lady Bird for Lady Bird Aka Elenor Roosevelt, Beatrix for Beatrix Potter…. I have a Jemima named after one of her characters which she identified the most as a resprensentattion of herself. Other old fashion names used… Henrietta, Myrtle, Jemima (is also an old English name) which if commented on you have a true explainable background of the name, it’s not “racist” lol

My rooster is Mr Doodles… after the rooster named in the book Plant Animal Miracle…. Which by the way if you haven’t read is such an amazing book, and a plot hee of information on homesteading written more like a journal, filled with recipes and sources….

I love to name my birds with old fashion. English names… or after certain authors or historical names/Nick names…. For example I name the top/biggest hen Lady Bird for Lady Bird Aka Elenor Roosevelt, Beatrix for Beatrix Potter…. I have a Jemima named after one of her characters which she identified the most as a resprensentattion of herself. Other old fashion names used… Henrietta, Myrtle, Jemima (is also an old English name) which if commented on you have a true explainable background of the name, it’s not “racist” lol

My rooster is Mr Doodles… after the rooster named in the book Plant Animal Miracle…. Which by the way if you haven’t read is such an amazing book, and a plot hee of information on homesteading written more like a journal, filled with recipes and sources….
I may of mixed up the name… I thinks it’s Animal Plant Miracle…. Excellent excellent book!

Back
Top Bottom