Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 6.9%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 79 16.5%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 116 24.3%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.4%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 166 34.7%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 153 32.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 157 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I don't have any specific naming system. I usually name my birds based on either their appearance or personality traits, but I do have some that fall outside of that pattern.

Right now I have:
  • Potato Chicken - named because of how she used to sit when roosting a lot of the time. also nicknamed 'Tato or Potato.
  • Long Chicken (Longy) - named because she is just a bit longer than the others.
  • Sydney - used to be called Sadness (like the Inside Out character) due to her eye shape and face always making her look a bit sad. I don't remember why exactly she got renamed, but she should have been named something related to her ability to get into places she shouldn't be.
  • Floppy - named for her droopy comb, which none of the others have.
  • Unicorn (Uni) - named because she got a comb injury when younger that makes her comb look a bit pointy at the bottom like a unicorn horn.
  • Yami - named after an anime character, I think? I didn't name her lol.
  • Ariel - no specific reason for her name that I can remember. I just thought of names and picked one for her.
  • Squeaky - named because she sounds a bit higher pitched when she vocalizes.
  • Fluffer - no idea why she's named Fluffer lol. I don't think I was the one to name her honestly. Her feathers are really soft and kind of fluffy so it fits.
  • Grumpy - named because ruffled/curled back feathers cause her to look grumpy. She is the exact opposite and is in fact very chill.
  • Snowball - another one of those "I have no idea why she's named this" chickens.
  • Wings - usually called Wingsy. she was really small as a chick and seemed to be several days behind the others, and she walked with her wings turned out for a little bit, which is why she got her name.

I love to name my birds with old fashion. English names… or after certain authors or historical names/Nick names…. For example I name the top/biggest hen Lady Bird for Lady Bird Aka Elenor Roosevelt,

Cool! Just an FYI, "Lady Bird" was the wife of President Lyndon B. Johnson, Claudia Alta Johnson. She was First Lady from 1963 to 1969. He husband became President when John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 (anniversary of that date coming up shortly) in Dallas, TX.

We have 65 chickens and about 50 have names! 😂 People are amazing when we can sit around and point them out by name. We give them names based on whatever comes to mind. All our puffy cheeked EE's are deserts (muffin, cupcake, marshmallow, etc) and then we have Jerry and Elaine our two silkies, and the rest have random names like Gretchen, Bockstar, Mary Lou, the Sistahs, Kyle, Flute, Lightening, Firebird, Copper, peanut butter, jelly, etc. I love naming them 😂

We have 65 chickens and about 50 have names! 😂 People are amazing when we can sit around and point them out by name. We give them names based on whatever comes to mind. All our puffy cheeked EE's are deserts (muffin, cupcake, marshmallow, etc) and then we have Jerry and Elaine our two silkies, and the rest have random names like Gretchen, Bockstar, Mary Lou, the Sistahs, Kyle, Flute, Lightening, Firebird, Copper, peanut butter, jelly, etc. I love naming them 😂
These names are delightful! I only have twelve and people are still shocked or surprised that I can tell them apart. Being able to tell them apart with the amount you have is more impressive!

Cool! Just an FYI, "Lady Bird" was the wife of President Lyndon B. Johnson, Claudia Alta Johnson. She was First Lady from 1963 to 1969. He husband became President when John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 (anniversary of that date coming up shortly) in Dallas, TX.
You are absolutely correct! Thank you I should of know that too, I must had “brain of LOL… my great grandparents were personal friends of the Johnsons so I’m embarrassed to know I gave the wrong information 🙈. Oops

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct! Thank you I should of know that too, I must had “brain of LOL… my great grandparents were personal friends of the Johnsons so I’m embarrassed to know I gave the wrong information 🙈. Oops
No worries. I don't know much, but what I do know, I know pretty good. 😉🤣

The bonus screen on the “Yardbird” Slot Machine (Shelly & Henrietta - Sexlinks), my daughter’s love for McNuggets (Chicken Nugget - Delaware), my favorite childhood book (Little Red Hen - Road Island Red), Star Wars (Princess Lay-Ha - Easter Egger), and my husband’s fondness for The Maury Povich Show (Chicken Tetrazzini - Cochin)

Last edited:
We don't name all our chickens, but those we do are named based on their personalities, appearance or experiences, anything that makes them memorable in some way. Not sure if I have mentioned these two pullets before. We hatched these, out of 22 eggs we got 4 cockerels and two pullets. It was our first attempt. These girls are uncommonly dumb. They are barely smart enough to be chickens, poor things. So they are named Dingbat and Dipstick.

We don't name all our chickens, but those we do are named based on their personalities, appearance or experiences, anything that makes them memorable in some way. Not sure if I have mentioned these two pullets before. We hatched these, out of 22 eggs we got 4 cockerels and two pullets. It was our first attempt. These girls are uncommonly dumb. They are barely smart enough to be chickens, poor things. So they are named Dingbat and Dipstick.
I gave a like, but I'm laughing inside. Just need to name a Cockerel after the dog in The Jerk.

Back
Top Bottom