Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.0%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 78 16.6%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.6%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 114 24.2%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 82 17.4%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 165 35.0%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 150 31.8%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 155 32.9%

• Total voters
Unless I've got a theme planned in my head, most of the names I come up with are dumb. I take into consideration temperament, looks, living situation. Then I come up with something really dumb, usually in Greek. Dumb names sound better in Greek
I named a character (a leafwing dragon) Tree. In Navaho. But still. Dumb names often sound better in other languages.

I named a character (a leafwing dragon) Tree. In Navaho. But still. Dumb names often sound better in other languages.

Well, your perspective and my perspective are a little different. In my case, English is the "other" language (or French, but I don't have any birds with French names)

Well, your perspective and my perspective are a little different. In my case, English is the "other" language (or French, but I don't have any birds with French names)
I find the Romance languages are too close to English. I prefer the ones that are middle eastern, Native American, or the ones like Russian (Slavic languages? I don’t remember).
I might try some of the African ones

A little bit of most the options: old fashioned/people names, named after food, their color, notable features, etc.
Screenshot_20231013-092812~2.png

I keep a note of the permanent flock's breed, sex, and names ✨

I give my Black Australorp hens (no roosters) rhyming names. The first three were Polly, Molly and Dolly. Then Polly broke her neck flying into a post, so I got two more pullets and named them Daisy and Maisie. Then my sweet Dolly died and the two most recent girls are Betty and Letty - short for Leticia :). All have had wonderful personalities and are great layers!

Back
Top Bottom