Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.0%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 78 16.6%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.6%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 114 24.2%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 82 17.4%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 165 35.0%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 150 31.8%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 155 32.9%

• Total voters
I try to name my birds after a Catholic Saint from the country that the breed originated from, but most of them ended up getting named for other reasons.

Chickens:
Lydwinne
Prudence (Plymouth Rock, so got a Puritan name)
Rose (Just because)
Wilhelmina (Supposed to be a Barnevelder but turned into a Cream Legbar)

Ducks:
Henry
Hilda
Winnie

Turkeys:
Helen (St Helen is the patron of Turkey 🇹🇷)
Matilda (Just because)

Geese:
George (honor of Washington)
Martha (and his wife)
Rita (Just because)
Frances (Just because)

I currently have hens Angela, Selena and Meg and Peg (look like twin Olive Evers). My chicks are Elizabeth, Gena, Ingrid, Prissy and Rita. Prissy is a bantam Dominique and reminds me of Prissy in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

I currently have hens Angela, Selena and Meg and Peg (look like twin Olive Evers). My chicks are Elizabeth, Gena, Ingrid, Prissy and Rita. Prissy is a bantam Dominique and reminds me of Prissy in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.
I loved the bantam Dominique hens I had. I have a bantam Dominique male now and he’s pretty goofy.

I wanted old-fashioned names for my girls. So I have Mattie, Millie, Metta, and Mitzi. The names have special meaning to me. Mattie was an elderly lady that I cared for…she meant a lot to me. Millie was the name of my husband’s grandmother. Metta means loving kindness, and Mitzi was my grandmother’s dog when I was a little girl. I also had one named Mercy, but she passed away last year.

So I have guineas rather than chickens, and since they all kinda look the same they don't really have proper names bc a lot of them I can't tell apart 😅 but I did name a few of them after something they have that distinguishes them from the others! As a result they all ended up with really silly names like Curly-toe, Squeaky Hen, Gimpy, Hen-rietta etc.

I have more named hens right now than I ever have before, and those names are based primarily on personality but sometimes on appearance.. Tornado, a Sapphire Gem, identical to her five sisters, is always underfoot. Dingbat and Dipstick - obvious. Day-Late, another Gem, ... yeah, always a day late and a dollar short. Raven, my gold-flecked black EE, a real sweetie. She can be on the nest and will let me reach under her and remove any eggs already under her. She's not broody. Merida, my very bold SS, very impatient at snack time. Winnie, a silver Prairie Bluebell Egger, and Spook, a white and red one, rather flighty. And so on.

I have more named hens right now than I ever have before, and those names are based primarily on personality but sometimes on appearance.. Tornado, a Sapphire Gem, identical to her five sisters, is always underfoot. Dingbat and Dipstick - obvious. Day-Late, another Gem, ... yeah, always a day late and a dollar short. Raven, my gold-flecked black EE, a real sweetie. She can be on the nest and will let me reach under her and remove any eggs already under her. She's not broody. Merida, my very bold SS, very impatient at snack time. Winnie, a silver Prairie Bluebell Egger, and Spook, a white and red one, rather flighty. And so on.
I like Dingbat and Day-late!

Back
Top Bottom