Official BYC Poll: How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

• I have a cement floor so they can't dig from underneath

Votes: 67 10.5%
  • Their coop is raised off the ground

Votes: 282 44.0%
  • Their run is covered

Votes: 403 62.9%
  • I have secure latches on all doors, including nest boxes.

Votes: 411 64.1%
  • They are fenced in with hardware cloth

Votes: 354 55.2%
  • I have bushes and other hiding places for my chickens to hide under during the day

Votes: 275 42.9%
  • I have one or more roosters on guard

Votes: 297 46.3%
  • I've installed an electric fence around my perimeter

Votes: 70 10.9%
  • I have a motion-activated light near the coop

Votes: 157 24.5%
  • I have a game cam installed

Votes: 99 15.4%
  • I have a properly trained guard dog

Votes: 84 13.1%
  • Predators aren't much of a problem around my area

Votes: 79 12.3%
  • I hang CD's and other shiny objects around to deter aerial predators

Votes: 46 7.2%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 108 16.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I have nearly 5 acres fenced...putting subterranean barriers under that much fence would not be feasible.
Each situation has it's own peculiarities. Since I have not had any predator losses since I started trapping, I would say that trapping, in my case, has stopped the predators from killing my birds.
Predator proofing is one piece of coop security. I too thought that a coop Knox would keep the birds safe, but over time, I was proven wrong.

We have an Eglu coop with a wire run and skirt. There is also a second run outside of that, although it is not electrified. So far, the only critters I’ve seen out there are squirrels and song birds.

I have a lovely rooster who is actually very on-guard, even though he's not much of a fighter (my boy who passed this summer was both! He attacked hawks several times). I also have an electric fence. It's been almost five years and I have had no ground-predator attacks ever, except for one girl who got out of the fence. I've had a LOT of hawk attacks, this year especially, so I installed twine above my fence. Works like a charm! I have a thread about it floating around here somewhere, it's called "Finally got the twine up!" If anyone wants to look at some pictures of it.
What state is Midgard in?

5’ Fence with 4 electric fence wires above it. Ground predators have quite a gauntlet to get through. Then 2 guard emus that have significantly reduced the hawk attacks. The emus kick and stomp when they see activity. One khaki Campbell didn’t make it, but a chicken survived because of them.

The main issue now are bald eagles. They are large enough to grab a bird and fly off with it. Not able to net off an acre, so will add even more cover when possible.
Beautiful happy dog in your id pic.

Back
Top Bottom