Official BYC Poll: How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

• Very Important

Votes: 108 25.4%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 118 27.8%
  • Not Important

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • It's a Nice Benefit

Votes: 156 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Eggs are very important to me--but I don't need the maxium possible amount of eggs. As long as we have enough eggs for personal use and a few extra to give to friends and family I'm satisifed. I have heritage breeds and I don't light the coop. I've found that my pullets lay through the winter, so I try to get a few chicks early in the spring that will mature in autumn and lay through the winter. I sell a few older girls each year to make room for new arrivals, but I have some favorites that get to stay whether they lay or not.

Last edited:
Eggs are very important for me, but I am pretty old school. I wanted a heritage flock, not prone to health problems, excellent foragers, and good broodiness and fertility for flock continuation. I don't add extra light. I want their lives to be as natural as possible. I make sure to hatch babies late summer to have winter eggs. In the summer I get around a dozen a day and aim to have four a day in the winter from new layers.

When I first got my own flock, I had no idea that chickens could be sweet, friendly, silly, and a great way to add some life to the homestead. So I will say yes, eggs were the primary motivator for the flock, but they have become so much more than that. I don't dispatch my old laying hens either, just the roosters.

it's a nice benefit I raising chick3ns for the adorable pets they are I don't care if they lay at all and they are a part of a family we don't want to use them. We want them to stay loved.

It’s important but I don’t buy production breeds. I don’t use artificial light. Everything on my place earns its keep except for the “indoor only” cat that yaks on the floor all the time. So, I do plan on culling older hens that don’t lay well, when the time comes.

Honestly I can’t stand that my hens lay so many eggs because I never have anything to do with them. That prevents me from getting more.
My rule is, if you are close enough to my rooster to know where he lives, you get free eggs. I still have more than I can handle. It doesn’t stop me from hatching more chicks. I may have to start building coops for everyone and giving them chicken! 🤣

I eat eggs every day but I chose it's a nice benefit. My chickens were a retirement present to me from me and I've enjoyed every day with them even though some days ended in heartache. I'm almost 70 so I don't plan on replacing my girls when they are gone, but I hope to have them for at least a few non-egglaying years!

Back
Top Bottom