Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Keeping Chickens?

How Long Have You Been Keeping Chickens?

• I haven’t started yet

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 93 22.2%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 55 13.2%
  • 5-6 years

Votes: 47 11.2%
  • 7-8 years

Votes: 30 7.2%
  • 9-10 years

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • 11-14 years

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • 15-19 years

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • 20-29 years

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 30+ years

Votes: 26 6.2%
  • I used to, but dont anymore (please tell us why in a reply below)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Keeping chickens is not only fun and easy but extremely beneficial! Chickens can be an amazing resource for food and entertainment, and keeping chickens is an effective step towards self-sufficiency.

So: How Long Have You Been Keeping Chickens?

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you used to keep chickens but no longer do.

View attachment 2786854

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Keeping chickens is not only fun and easy but extremely beneficial! Chickens can be an amazing resource for food and entertainment, and keeping chickens is an effective step towards self-sufficiency.

So: How Long Have You Been Keeping Chickens? 7 years

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you used to keep chickens but no longer do.

View attachment 2786854

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

9 1/2 years. I still have my first hen, and she still lays about once a month.
One of my oldest hens lived until she was 13 and she laid eggs too. Plus she had only a stump for a leg. Got under a horse and the foot was popped off. We taped a popsicle stick on it until it healed. PS we renamed her Peg Leg. She was a red cross link hen.

10 years now and I cannot fathom my life without them! They’re wonderful pets with big personalities!!! All it took was watching my neighbor’s flock for 6 months and to taste one of their fried eggs and I was hooked! A week later I had two chicks, then went back and got two more a couple weeks later! Now I have a new flock of 6 and one 10 year old chicken queen of the yard and I’m happy!

I've had birds my whole life. My very 1st chicken fell off of one of those trucks headed for the slaughter house. I kept the white chicken in my garage, I was 8 yrs old & named her Fluff. She was so sweet, put up with me giving her a bath, drying her off, even sitting on my lap to be fussed over and hugged. She was very active and even played roll the ball with me. Her favorite game was find the crickets of course. Unfortunately, a month later, instead of laying eggs, SHE turned out to be a HE & began crowing. In that neighborhood that was a big No No, so we found Mr. Fluff a farm home. Many decades later, I moved to a place with the proper zoning, where I could finally have chickens! I'd wanted chickens for a long, long time, so this was wonderful & very exciting! My dad & I built a coop together & I cherish those memories, because we didn't know at that time it would be the last thing he'd build. Those beloved chickens & my pigeons kept me grounded during a difficult time, during my father's illness. They've given me unconditional love & affection, wanting to sit on my lap or be fussed over & hugged. They've made smile & laugh every single day. During a time of grief & then pandemic, they've been my constant, my best friends. During Covid19 shut down, their eggs became a source of income, allowing me to buy food, who could've thought a fun hobby could sustain us?Pandemic also gave me time to hatch 10 eggs, what precious little fuzz puffs! I love them so much still! I started with 2 Barred Rocks & have had up to 40, a mix of RIR, Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Ameracaunas, Comet & Red Star, White Rock, a few rescued mixes, one sweetheart looks like Buff Delaware. All have names, some were older rescues, they will all live good lives & die of old age. I've only had chickens for about 7 yrs, but I can't imagine my life without them. ❤
I enjoyed reading you post "memories".
You have some pretty chickens.

Back
Top Bottom