Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 90 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.3%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 109 7.7%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I have had chickens for about 3 and a half years. We started with 4 E.E.'a and this disease has now grown to 56 various types of chickens. They are just too much fun in the summer. Not so much in the winter here in Connecticut but we love them.
20191203_152333.jpg
20191020_172531.jpg
20191013_165013.jpg
20191013_165102.jpg
20200212_200730.jpg
20191013_165102.jpg

How many of our peeps are really new to raising chickens and how many are old-timers?

In addition to answering the poll, please reply with some fun details, like:

What got you interested in raising chickens?
Did you ever "take a break" and not have chickens?
What breeds did you start with, how many, and do you have any pictures to share?
I started back in 1970,when my Dad brought home the last two birds,both Dark Brahmas,because he was selling his auto repair shop,where he kept them,.One of them,appropriately named "Fats",lived to be 10.She was a massive Brahma,and to this day,still has set the standard for the best-behaved and people friendly hen I ever had.Because of her,I have made sure that there are always Brahmas in my flock.After the last of her two companions died in 1980,I took a 15 year break,before discovering a "pullet in a feed store,who,after a couple months,shed "her" disguise,to be a Rooster,a Cochin,who also lived to be 10. Most all of the flock I have now are a bunch of Geriatrics-it's become a retirement community! The average age is around 8-10 years. I just recently lost the oldest chicken I've ever had,a Brown Leghorn hen,who lived to the ripe old age of 14-1/2! The longest living breeds I have raised,are the Cochins,and in particular the Bantam Cochins,a full size Black Cochin,the D'uccles,and a couple Japanese,who,at ages 10-12 years,are now the oldest in my flock. It's lots of attention,frequent handling,clean bedding,and fresh food and FRESH WATER that does it-plus,predator-proof housing and avoiding temperature extremes.If I'm not comfortable,neither are they,so I make it comfortable.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking about this the other day. My brother made a comment about my favorite chicken, an Australorp named Ostrich Lord, is the boss of the fowl yard. She'll whoop someone's butt before our roo would. Anyway, I said it's because she's old...and she's probably old because she's so darn tough. Which got me thinking about how old she is. This ol' girl is just shy of 10 yrs old! I feel like I owe her a birthday cake now. 🤣
Every year,I used to give my Dark Brahma hen,"Fats",a jelly-filled donut for her birthday-it was her favorite treat,and she was NOT about to share it with her two younger companions!

I never had chickens, just cats and dogs. I got some free and was fascinated with the colored eggs; after the first three, then I added a cpl Leghorns, and then just two here and two there, and I currently have 9. I hate winter since coop & run is a bit of a walk on my property; but I just love listening to them - different voices, different personalities. Very satisfying animals - their "pecking" order. It's been an adventure - and really, you can't beat the eggs; best ever I've eaten. Also, can't believe I actually "cooked" for the darlings; give them spaghetti; yogurt, cottage cheese - they LOVE greens - actually grew kale just for them!

I've had chickens off and on (mostly on) since I was in my 20's. I'm 71 now. I can't remember what I started with, probably RI Reds. The most I have had is 40! That was a lot of chickens!! I started selling eggs to help pay for the feed. I have quite a following and people swear, mine are the best. My chickens are free range, so they get all kinds of goodies. I really enjoy having them around, they are so entertaining. I would like to pass along a little info, I just started using this past year. I bought some probiotics and use it every time I change their water. They have been so much healthier, I couldn't believe the difference, especially in the winter.

How many of our peeps are really new to raising chickens and how many are old-timers?

What breeds did you start with, how many, and do you have any pictures to share?
My husband was a rancher with a great many species, and I, also raised on a vineyard, had all the general animals around but we also had a coup. I used to talk to the chickens and bantys when I was a young child.. Now retired, we wanted something new to raise. We have always fed a lot of wild birds in several states, so we decided on chickens. (only 6), but in a couple years, it dropped to 3. Ours are more pets than producers, but we love them and spoil them rotten. They have also adapted quickly to a pet turkey, my husband loved from our Montana ranch....she also sits on my husbands lap and watches tv. Sleeps on a large wooden box outside the bedroom window so she can see her Daddy. (I said spoiled, didn't I) LOL

Having backyard chickens had just started to become popular here in Juneau, Alaska about 8 or so years ago. I wanted to have chickens (for eggs) for a number of years before we finally got our original three hens. Six years ago I got my hens when they had just started laying. They were given to me by a friend who realized they really didn’t have the space for them. We bought their coop and we were off! Little did we know how much work it would be to create the pen and add the necessary electric fencing. Lots of bears frequent our area so electric fencing is really a mousy. Our hens were two Plymouth rocks and an Auracana. Great layers and friendly birds.

Having backyard chickens had just started to become popular here in Juneau, Alaska about 8 or so years ago. I wanted to have chickens (for eggs) for a number of years before we finally got our original three hens. Six years ago I got my hens when they had just started laying. They were given to me by a friend who realized they really didn’t have the space for them. We bought their coop and we were off! Little did we know how much work it would be to create the pen and add the necessary electric fencing. Lots of bears frequent our area so electric fencing is really a mousy. Our hens were two Plymouth rocks and an Auracana. Great layers and friendly birds.
That was supposed to say - electric fencing is a necessity.

We started in the spring of 2015. We were in a new house (to us) in a farming community. Why not, right? LOL We started out with 50 red sex links. 25 hens and 25 roos as chicks. The Roos were to go in the freezer. Thus the decision of a completely clueless city girl! The Roos were free!. Great deal right? Not so much. As most of you know sex links are bred to be small and lay a lot. Our Roos were still small after 6 months (go figure! LOL) We spent a lot in feed for very little meat, but we learned a lot and we still have chickens.

right now we have a barn mix. Four are replacements from a neighbor whose dog got into our chickens. (Not sure of the breed, but they are beautiful light brown/golden hens with dark brown eggs). We had 4 hatch last year, but one disappeared (We assume a hawk got it - they free range), the hatching mama who is an American game hen who sat on a barn mix of eggs, and one other hen. Three Roos (the one we had, one a gift and one of the chicks) possibly a fourth - we can’t tell yet, lol, and 6-7 hens. We are already getting 4 eggs a day this early in the year and are thrilled!

We are hoping to have extra roos in the freezer soon, and that a hen goes broody early in the spring! We loved our first experience with mama taking care of her chicks. Super easy and super cute!

6 years ago we were given a basic, drafty coop and some Rhode Island Reds from friends who were moving. These free rangers lasted a while but we had several mishaps, laziness not shutting the coop, night time predators, neighborhood dogs, went through 2 new batches of chicks, once raised Cornish Cross for meat. Our latest layers are 2.5 years old, they have a nice run and coop I built. Moved them with us from the mountains to the valley and haven’t lost a single hen since building my predator proof run. My family of 6 finds so much delight in our “Chickies”. I’m pleased with my watering and feeding system that allows me weekly maintenance and refuse to ever buy eggs again. I never knew chickens are such wonderful pets and feel empowered that I can give them my scraps and they give me omelette, quiches, and crepes!

Attachments

• 20133AD1-9F6C-46ED-9876-15BBE9DBD70A.jpeg
    20133AD1-9F6C-46ED-9876-15BBE9DBD70A.jpeg
    900.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 3F60F20B-96CF-4642-8505-148494491955.jpeg
    3F60F20B-96CF-4642-8505-148494491955.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7E4F4E9F-0896-4523-A3CF-6B58C265D04D.jpeg
    7E4F4E9F-0896-4523-A3CF-6B58C265D04D.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom