Official BYC Poll - How Many Square Feet Per Chicken?

How many square feet do you CURRENTLY have per chicken?

Votes: 7 1.4%

Votes: 38 7.8%

Votes: 57 11.7%

Votes: 75 15.4%

Votes: 34 7.0%

Votes: 30 6.2%

Votes: 24 4.9%

Votes: 21 4.3%

Votes: 12 2.5%

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • 11 +

Votes: 152 31.2%

• Total voters
I have about 4 sq. ft. Per chicken for inside coop space and about 8 sq. ft. Of run space per chicken, however I let them free range most of the time... I have 70 acres but they stay right around the yard wich is about 4 acres

I have currently 12sq feet per chicken in the coop, and 40 in the enclosed run. This will change as the baby chicks get big enough to add to the flock, when it will be 4.8 in the coop, and 16 in the run. The run footage expands in the fall and winter, when the girls hve free run of my garden.

5 sf per in the coop and around 12 sf per in the run. Used the let them free range but lost 7 birds to a hawk and now I'm afraid to let them out, so I pick grass for them and cut it into bite size pieces almost every day, plus I catch crickets and worms to feed to them as well. I feel bad that they can't roam the 11 acres we have but I feel better safe than sorry.

My chicken's coop/run is 8'x16' for 10 hens. They get to free range on my days off when the weather permits it. There have been a couple days when they are confined to the coop because of really bad weather but they tolerate it pretty well as long as they have something to do, like playing soccer with a cabbage head. This is a picture before the sand and tarp cover.

Inside space per chicken 2.4 sf

Run space per chicken 8.6 sf

Free range space per 3500 sf

They are inside only at night to roost; auto door opens at dawn and closes at dusk.

They are in run for the winter; too many hawks, not enough cover

Free ranging all day after trees leaf out.

Back
Top Bottom