Official BYC Poll: How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 61 27.9%
  • Once a day

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Every other day

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Once a week

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Only when it looks dirty

Votes: 26 11.9%
  • Whenever the water level is low

Votes: 59 26.9%
  • When I remember

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have an automatic waterer, so I rarely change it manually

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I use a water additive to keep it fresh longer, so I change it less frequently

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
I have a total of 6 water stations, all except one are the standard white plastic container with the click-turn or screw on dispenser trays. One 'waterer' is one of those large plastic shallow trays that potted plants sit on.

Algae and wild bird poop are the most frequent challenges to keeping waterers cleaned during most of the year. And with our hard well-water, scale buildup over time means I replace waterers more frequently than most folks need to.

The big 3gal tank style one hanging out in the run gets topped up when low, and changed and cleaned when the ladies gunk up the dish. The 1gal in the coop sometimes has electrolytes added so that gets cleaned/topped up as needed. The run doesn't get much direct sunlight and this is MA so the really ugly heat doesn't hit us as hard (sez I after it hit 91˚F/32˚C yesterday...)

I have ducks with the chickens so they make it disgusting (very quickly). I change it at least twice a day but if it's really hot out I change it more and sometimes I clean them more than 3 times. I have a shallow kiddie pool that the ducks love and 3 small rubber pools. I also have 3, 5 gallon buckets with RentACoop automatic water cups attached to them. I top the 5 gallon buckets off every once and a while and only clean it out if the ducks somehow get into it and dirty it or if algea starts growing in it.

Keeping our feathered friends hydrated is crucial, especially during the sweltering summer months. As temperatures rise, ensuring your chickens have access to fresh, clean water becomes even more important. We're curious about your routine: how often do you change your chickens' water when the weather heats up?

Also share your practices and see how others in the chicken-keeping community keep their flocks cool and hydrated in the comments section below.

View attachment 3835829

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
My hens have 5 gal. galvanized waters. In summer the water evaporates quickly, even at 5 gals. Two of these waterers kept in shade will last two days. I’m more likely to dump out and refill with cooler water to help them cool. I also keep a couple of open pans with a chunk of concrete for them to cool down and the hens will drink there as well.

I have 2 waterers. A 5 gallon bucket with cups and a 1 gallon trough waterer with ACV added. I change twice a week or sooner if they look gross. They get checked for signs of "slime" daily. The cups get cleaned/rinsed daily. I turn them sideways (gently) to get out dust & debris and flush with fresh water. The one gallon trough stays relatively clean as it's located in thier coop area. They're rarely in there during the day except to lay. Still, both get a frozen water bottle added mid morning as the temps begin to go up. I only have 5 chickens so the 5 gallon is usually kept about half full. The frozen water bottles cool it down pretty quickly. We live in west central florida. The heat can be a challenge to manage here but we have breeds that tend to do a bit better in the heat. Only my Polish & one of my Orpingtons seem to ever be bothered (slightly) by extreme heat (+100). The others (Orpington & Silkies are usually unphased. Still, I remain diligent regardless.

I check it often if the water feels warm, I change it. I have smaller waterers that I freeze and put out in their favorite shady areas. I'm trying to figure out how to cool the coop and still keep them safe.

Back
Top Bottom