Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 286 15.6%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 390 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.2%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 464 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
I actually only have to do light upkeep, my birds roost outside in the kumquat tree that’s enclosed in their run. I have a friend growing a small nursery, so he comes whenever necessary for him, or for me if its getting deep and he cleans the coop area into barrels that he takes back to the nurseries compost pile! He brings a bale of alfalfa for the girls, and he spreads out my fresh bedding...he thinks I’m doing him a favor...I’m wheelchair bound... So Yeah, no I’m the winner here! Anyways, like my vote above, he cleans it as needed.

Attachments

• 524DCB0E-A650-4073-87B4-B3486B04F85D.jpeg
    524DCB0E-A650-4073-87B4-B3486B04F85D.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 29
  • AA24ED67-C667-4423-8D8D-F969EEC5A12E.jpeg
    AA24ED67-C667-4423-8D8D-F969EEC5A12E.jpeg
    727.7 KB · Views: 31
I scoop poop daily from the poop boards and any giant clumps of poo in the litter. Weekly, I scrub out the waterer (though I change water as needed) and sweep the floor of the storage area. Monthly, I shake the dust and feathers out of the turf pads I keep in the nest box and take a broom and dust off the walls, window sills, and other surface areas. I probably completely replace the bedding, which is currently pine shavings, about every six months only because it breaks down into sawdust after so long.

I have 2 small coops with PDZ on entire floor, it takes only seconds with the litter scoop to clean those daily. Big coop with PDZ on poop boards gets scooped daily, and shavings on floor get swept out about once a month. Currently there are 13 chickens.
I wear a dust mask for PDZ and shavings cleanings.

I clean my 4 coops early each morning. What makes easy cleaning is sand. Simply scoop the poop and put it in a bucket and dispose of it. Done.
Other than building coops to withstand strong storms including cat 1 hurricanes, ease of cleaning coops was a priority. It takes me about 30 minutes to clean out coops each morning.
Yes! I too have a sand floor- I love it!

I have 3 hens and a coop with an enclosed run but I allow them to roam freely outside the run within a larger run/portion of the backyard. Since they only really spend the early mornings in the enclosed run, I clean it every 6 months. The coop where they sleep and nest, weekly.
@DobieLover I love your set up so much!

Back
Top Bottom