Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 284 15.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 388 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.3%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 461 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
poopy/wet bedding is cleaned daily and then a full cleaning once a week, my ducks are my babies though so i don’t let them ever be in a dirty place

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Poop hammock, sounds like a good idea unfortunately my girls can't sleep the same way to save their butts. They face this way one day, that way the other day, this side of the coop, sometimes they are all bunched up on one side, other times spread out, sometimes they eve sleep on the darned floor in the bedding. That one I never figured out, the only thing I can think of is, the was out in the yard too long, it got dark too quick and it was too dark for her to hit the perch so after a few tries of hopping up and possibly kocking others around and being yelled at, she just gave up and stayed on the ground for the night. She used to try to roost in the egg box but a few times being smacked out of there, it does not happen much anymore.

I pull the deep bedding off the floor with a bow rake, drop it thru the middle of the house onto the ground, where it becomes deep litter under the house for my ducks. Push it around a bit with the rake to level things out. My raised coop is in the shape of a U with a full sized door at the opening of the U, resulting in a typical shed rectangle shape about 8x12 with the door closed.

That seems to happen quarterly, takes wagon loads of leaf litter to replace the deep bedding.

About twice a year, the composted stuff gets so deep I have trouble closing the door. Some more work with the bow rake, a shovel, and the cart, and the door closes again.

Not sure which answer you wanted, but hope that helps answer the question posed.

Last edited:
It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
This sort of sums it up how I used to feel the day after.

Attachments

• 5760B61C-8CEE-4217-A34F-4D2A324438F1.png
    5760B61C-8CEE-4217-A34F-4D2A324438F1.png
    2 MB · Views: 25
I clean out the coop once a year. Whether it needs it or not!
The poop boards are cleaned every morning. The floor of my coop gets very little poop in the bedding as the birds go out to the run as soon as they come off the roost and wait there for me to release them.
When winter really bears down, they will spend more time hunkered down in the bedding of the coop.View attachment 2583454
I'll be doing a cleaning next month. It'll get hit with a spray down of Elector PSP when I've emptied it and before I bed it down.
What do you use to clean your poop boards with? A tool? Gloved hand? Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom