Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 284 15.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 388 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.3%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 461 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I clean the poop out every morning. In the spring, summer ( complete bedding change). and fall I clean whole coop out and wash weekly. In winter I do a modified deep litter method daily. I clean poop with the bedding it is on out and add more straw as needed. I do a complete bedding changed every month I just don’t wash it.

Clean the coop area...where they nest at nite every morning. Then the go down to the floor area that I pick up daily and change pine shavings weekly. From there they can go out into an outdoor net covered run that I pick up twice a day. Very simple but only have 4 hens.

Attachments

• 1189116D-50B4-441B-9F1D-9EBAD1A487F6.jpeg
    1189116D-50B4-441B-9F1D-9EBAD1A487F6.jpeg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 11
It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

I use a dog pooper scooper every morning under their roosts and in the coop. I also use a litter product called Sani Care from Espoma. Cheap and easy.

Every day!! I have 14 chooks, takes me half an hour in the morning for cleaning, feeding and cuddles 😄

1 or 2 times a week

My coop floor bedding only needs changing 2x per year. I use a "poop hammock" under the roosts, so I just have to pull that out and hose it off once a week. There's virtually no poop on the coop floor because of that. Feed and water are in the run, so no spills.
I use a "poop hammock: !:thumbsup

1617439587821.png

I clean the hammock everyday and change out the shavings on the floor as needed/
I do a sanitizing cleaning of the entire tractor twice a year. Once in the spring and again just before winter set in.
I feed in the coop year round , During the warm weather their water is in the run.
During the winter months I keep water in the coop using a popcorn can and a 50 watt light bulb to keep it thawed out.
1617440693481.png

I clean my 4 coops early each morning. What makes easy cleaning is sand. Simply scoop the poop and put it in a bucket and dispose of it. Done.
Other than building coops to withstand strong storms including cat 1 hurricanes, ease of cleaning coops was a priority. It takes me about 30 minutes to clean out coops each morning.
I do the same. As soon as I release them, they enjoy whatever treat I've set out as I scoop the poop from the sand.

There's a mesh floor in our mobile coop and the nest box, there's no regular cleaning required but it did get power hosed out a few weeks ago. That was the first time since it was built a year ago. Really recommend the mesh flooring for coops that can have them. Before that we had them in a shed and it needed regularly cleaning out, maybe once a week.

Back
Top Bottom