Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 284 15.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Once per week

Votes: 388 21.2%
  • Once per month

Votes: 225 12.3%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 237 12.9%
  • Once per year

Votes: 75 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 461 25.2%
  • Never

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Dry chickens are healthy chickens.

Frequent wet cleaning isn't good for either the wood or the birds.
I don’t keep it wet?? I wouldn’t leave the ramps soaking if your referring to that.

The ramps are removable. If its not good for the wood so be it. I feel better knowing they are clean compared to not doing it. Thats just me, its just how i like it.

I don’t keep it wet?? I wouldn’t leave the ramps soaking if your referring to that.

The ramps are removable. If its not good for the wood so be it. I feel better knowing they are clean compared to not doing it. Thats just me, its just how i like it.
Probably takes a long time to actually dry tho.
Wet/damp wood is a petri dish for bacterial growth.

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I never clean my coop as I do not have chickens yet. I have my water and septic permits so dealing with poop is easy for me. I expect to be chicken pooping within 2 months after I recover more from a car accident.

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

I have rubber mats in my coop. Sweep then mop every morning. It takes about 15 minutes. Easy.

I clean out the coop once a year. Whether it needs it or not!
The poop boards are cleaned every morning. The floor of my coop gets very little poop in the bedding as the birds go out to the run as soon as they come off the roost and wait there for me to release them.
When winter really bears down, they will spend more time hunkered down in the bedding of the coop.View attachment 2583454
I'll be doing a cleaning next month. It'll get hit with a spray down of Elector PSP when I've emptied it and before I bed it down.
THAT is an awesome coop!

I clean mine every day. But cleaning consists of removing towels that I put down for their poop to land on. I put it directly over the straw. Most lands on towels and I pick up the rest, throw it on the towels and empty the towels in the compost pile. Wash towels every couple of days, but makes the hole task so much easier.

I wipe down surfaces with vinegar, put down diatomaceous earth and change straw every couple of weeks.

Nest boxes stay pretty clean, although right now a have a couple of chicks sleeping in one of them.

I don't mind it at all. Just a part of keeping those who feed me healthy.

Back
Top Bottom