Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 141 33.7%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 135 32.3%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.3%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I am unable to answer that question with anything close to an actual number.
We started our flock with a foundling cockerel. Once he had a safe abode for himself and a number of hens, we went out to buy 3 hens for him. Although I had done a ton of reading on what to do and what not to do in order to keep chickens properly, I knew nothing about guessing the age of a hen. And, Man did the seller see me coming. :lau We bought 3 hens, 1 was a Mille flore something, that was a full size hen. She was beautiful and friendly and I named her Ursula. I will never know how old she was when we got her, but she was my pride and joy. She never laid an egg, ever. So she was past laying age when we got her and we have had at least one hen who laid fewer and fewer eggs until she was 7 years old.
We had Ursula for about 8 years, I guess. So she would have been at least 10 years old and probably 15 or more. She was and always has been missed. One day perhaps I will tell a few Ursula stories, she was rather bossy, even with the Rooster.
Yes, Please tell us stories!

Our whole remaining flock are the original gals, 12 and 11 years old now. And in the spring, they still lay the occasional egg! Over the years we've lost one to an accident and two to egg laying disorders.

My oldest is a golden laced Wyandotte, Big Red (on right) she is 12 and aside from arthritis in her ankles is still going strong! She is the flock announcer, I can always tell when a new egg arrives from one of the girls.

Attachments

• 79F03B8C-8510-484F-BF50-FA702D8B8AD9.jpeg
    79F03B8C-8510-484F-BF50-FA702D8B8AD9.jpeg
    888.5 KB · Views: 11
Living next to a national forest, I’ve lost several to predators, but even more to dogs running loose. Sylvia has survived about 4 of those attacks, and just stopped laying last Labor Day ... ‘henopause’. Just recently, she’s started moving slowly, is kinda hunched down, and goes to roost before her younger flock mates. So, I’m expecting her to fade off into the sunset fairly soon. I hope not. She’s a sweetie and we’ve been through a lot together. But, the best I can figure, she must be 5-6 years old. With all the replacement chicks, I’ve lost track.

My oldest is an Easter egger at about 10 years. I keep her (Cheeks) and Calypso, a French Black Marans, also 10, in a large separate cage away from the Rooster. Both girls have arthritis in their feet and cannot support the weight of the rooster on top of them without screaming in pain. Calypso still lays about two eggs a week and Cheeks lays a beautiful sky blue surprise egg a couple of times a month. At this point they are just pets. I just can't put them down because they are old....hell, I'm old and know how that arthritis can get the best of you!

We just lost our silver Phoenix rooster that was well over 11 years old. Has not been fertile for the last few years. Lost his mate last summer.

My hen, Crusty Goo Head, is turning 13 this year. I'd post a photo of her, but she's actually the spitting image of Shadrach's Fat Bird. She was supposed to be pure black Orpington bantam, but she hatched with a fifth toe on each foot, copper lacing on her neck, and is bearded/muffed. Instead of black, she's closer to a chocolate color. She's been with me through my divorce, after, and then the move... I don't know what I'll do when she goes, I love her so much.

She's been spending most of her days in the coop for a while because the boys are getting spring fever. She's still got spunk, but she's definitely slowed down in the last few years and doesn't like being bothered by the boys. When she is outside and I'm there, she pecks my foot gently to let me know that she wants to be picked up and held. I do and then she nestles her little head in the crook of my arm and sometimes goes to sleep if I hold her long enough. In the melody of The Beatles' "Love Me Do" I sing:
Sweet Crusty Goo!
You know I love you!
Sweet Crusty Goo!
Goo-goo-goo-goooooooo....
I love you!

Sometimes, in the melody of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" I sing:
Sweet Crusty Goo,
Da-da-daaaa
So goo! So goo! So goo! So goo!

I get sad every time I think of a future without her. I'm going to have her cremated when she goes so I can keep her ashes with me always. I sure hope I get more years with her.

Back
Top Bottom