Official BYC Poll - New Year New You...Resolution Time!

Pick one or pick a few, it's all up to YOU! Be sure to elaborate down below.

• Total voters
Pics
Is there a recipe?

It’s really simple. I looked up a few recipes and they were all the same really.

This is the one I used
https://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/cottage-cheese-made-from-sour-milk.html

Used a spoiler in case others don’t wanna read the recipe

You can use fresh milk or expired milk
Heat milk over medium heat until it reaches 195 F then leave it for 10 mins
Remove from heat
Add vinegar slowly while stirring
Let it sit covered to let it separate for a min or two
Then scoop out the curdled milk into cheese cloth
Tie the cheesecloth and rinse and massage under cold water
Put cheese in a mixing bowl and crumble it up
Add salt and a splash of heavy cream
The end 😊

The measurements are 1 gal of milk to 3/4 cup vinegar to 1tsp salt (I used less salt)

Use the whey however you want but I’m giving it to my chickens mixed in their feed.

It’s really simple. I looked up a few recipes and they were all the same really.

This is the one I used
https://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/cottage-cheese-made-from-sour-milk.html

Used a spoiler in case others don’t wanna read the recipe

You can use fresh milk or expired milk
Heat milk over medium heat until it reaches 195 F then leave it for 10 mins
Remove from heat
Add vinegar slowly while stirring
Let it sit covered to let it separate for a min or two
Then scoop out the curdled milk into cheese cloth
Tie the cheesecloth and rinse and massage under cold water
Put cheese in a mixing bowl and crumble it up
Add salt and a splash of heavy cream
The end 😊

The measurements are 1 gal of milk to 3/4 cup vinegar to 1tsp salt (I used less salt)

Use the whey however you want but I’m giving it to my chickens mixed in their feed.

What if the milk expired long enough ago to be forming curds on its own, can it be used then?

What if the milk expired long enough ago to be forming curds on its own, can it be used then?

I read it’s good up to 2 weeks expired (not sure if any longer than that) and usually if it’s really expired you may not need the vinegar to help separate it. It will do it on it’s own after it’s been heated

I read it’s good up to 2 weeks expired (not sure if any longer than that) and usually if it’s really expired you may not need the vinegar to help separate it. It will do it on it’s own after it’s been heated
I was teasing you.. we don’t use milk very fast so it spoils on us a lot..

There are already too many people that think the laws are the same everywhere. It is far more important to learn the laws of your own state rather than worrying about what happens in other states.

I have zero interest in the laws of California.

If you really want to know about the California process, Nabiki posted about her process in Kiki's Quail Hatching thread. Several others from California also posted there about the process.
Great. That's wonderful.
I was unaware of this but, you simple & concise reality of facts is very appreciated.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom