Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I chose Mink..I lost several to a mink (or weasel) last winter..
I agree with you on mink, or weasel, ferrets, muscalids. Seems you can make a pen good enough to keep about everything else out, but if there's even a hole you can fit your thumb through, they'll find it and squeeze through Seems like most other critters will get one, or a few, but muscalids try to kill them all. I'd bet dogs kill the most, but I think mink may kill the most at one time.

Last edited:
I believe that the most dangerous one is one that can kill an entire flock of chickens, ducks, and what ever else you keep for birds.. they can get into the smallest hole and make chicken owners terrified that they could lose a entire flock in just a few hours. Dogs can be prevented...it's the ones that are like ninjas we have to worry about the tiny weasel is most dangerous... smart..and hard to catch even with bloody meat...that is why they are called weasels they can weasel their way in and out of anything... I hate the weasel !

I lost a 7 week old Cayuga duckling to a stray allycat. At first I wasn’t sure what spooked my 6 ducklings in all different directions , (they always hang in a pack)...... I had left them outside for a couple of hours. I live in the country and wondered if it had been dive bombed by a new mom Mocking Bird, or if maybe a ground hog made its way into my yard ???
2 days later , I saw the stray in my backyard. Until a month ago, a cat would not even think of jumping my privacy fence. That was before my Pit; “Rocky” passed. No marks were found on my duckling that died. One other duckling is a bit gimped up with a couple of deep scratches on his back (that are healing). I wanted to free range. But now, I’m having second thoughts.

I lost a 7 week old Cayuga duckling to a stray allycat. At first I wasn’t sure what spooked my 6 ducklings in all different directions , (they always hang in a pack)...... I had left them outside for a couple of hours. I live in the country and wondered if it had been dive bombed by a new mom Mocking Bird, or if maybe a ground hog made its way into my yard ???
2 days later , I saw the stray in my backyard. Until a month ago, a cat would not even think of jumping my privacy fence. That was before my Pit; “Rocky” passed. No marks were found on my duckling that died. One other duckling is a bit gimped up with a couple of deep scratches on his back (that are healing). I wanted to free range. But now, I’m having second thoughts.

Sorry about your dog and duck. When I get a good dog that's around ten years old, I pick out my next dog. I can teach a pup a lot, but it seems a good old dog may teach them even more. It always sucks when the old guy passes, hopefully several years after ten, but they all do sooner or later, and it's always a sad day. I think it helps us feel better still having the other to take care of, and to look out for us. There is nothing like a good dog to keep cats, and all kinds of other four and two legged critters from sneaking around where they shouldn't be.

THANK you so much , Maugwa, for you wonderful reply. Very smart on your part to plan ahead. I’m enjoying these ducks so much! I hated to lose one. My Rocky on the other hand , was an odd deal. Super healthy and strong. 65 pounder. About 7 or 8 years old (got him as a rescue when he was approx 3 1/2). Suddenly took ill and by the end of the day was having seizures. Doctor thinks it could have been a blood clot to the brain. Miss him. But the pup will be big one day too, and be able to scare off the critters. As it is now, I’m afraid to leave her out , she’s so tiny- she might get scooped up by an eagle!
Happy duck day to you, M!

In my area, though I saw a racoon once, my flock is most endangered by the wild feral cats. Took 2 chickens and a peahen. They would also poop in my yard. I bought a lot of scent "drive-offs", but that didn't really work. I finally solved this problem by extensive fencing. Is there any cheaper, easier method?

In my area, though I saw a racoon once, my flock is most endangered by the wild feral cats. Took 2 chickens and a peahen. They would also poop in my yard. I bought a lot of scent "drive-offs", but that didn't really work. I finally solved this problem by extensive fencing. Is there any cheaper, easier method?

As far as i know, there isn't although i have seen fencing to exclude cats. The only thing we've captured on our game camera is a cat or two. A cat got into our barn cat's place (our shop) and beat her so that she. Is afraid to go back in there. She's ordinarily friendly but won't let us catch her. She's eating again and i saw her out yesterday, but i think she's still hurting. Poor kitty.

Back
Top Bottom