Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
In my opinion, worst predator for me are foxes. Those things killed almost 40 of my chickens over the course of 4 years. They're cunning, you may think you made your coop "fox proof" but some how they manage to get in. Worst thing is, they kill all of your chickens and only take 1 or 2 :barnie.

Thankfully, I remade my coop with the help of my father. No attacks since May of last year :)

In my area, though I saw a racoon once, my flock is most endangered by the wild feral cats. Took 2 chickens and a peahen. They would also poop in my yard. I bought a lot of scent "drive-offs", but that didn't really work. I finally solved this problem by extensive fencing. Is there any cheaper, easier method?
I set live traps with cat food because a group of feral cats where killing and eating full growns hens and an 8lb rooster. easy to catch that way

wolves can be really bad. i don't deal with them (yet).

but there smarter and tougher then a fox or coyote, and i know a few guys where they killed tons of there live stock over the years.
and good luck trapping them there super smart.

This little kitty cat liked chickens
I had a poultry lover several years ago as well. He braved every line of defense we had, then aggressively defended his final kill to the point of having to be dispatched.
upload_2019-6-3_8-22-6.jpeg
36718_picture_004.jpg

I wanted to vote for several animals, categorically:
Dogs worst for killing with no reason.
Weasels the worst for killing everything and eating little.
Humans the worst for being morally wrong.
Foxes the worst for being cunning & inventive.
Hawks the worst for being hard to stop with free rangers.
Owls the worst for fooling poultry into thinking they are a good roost mate in the inky darkness.
I’ve lost a fair number to all of these except humans.
I have lost the most to hawks and owls about evenly and foxes coming in second.

Something killed my duck. I have four in pen outside. All the predator did was take its head off. Did not even eat it. It was almost surgically removed. Nothing got through the fence. Had to come from above or through the fence (weasel maybe) but no leaves were disturbed along the fence.
Sounds like a hawk or owl. They seem to favor the head and neck since they usually can’t take the whole bird with them. Sometimes a coon will pull a birds head through chicken wire and bite it off, leaving a headless carcass. If the victim is left laying there, and a trail cam trained on it, you can usually find out who’s the predator because it usually will return to the kill a time or two.

I’ve lost 3 of my original 6 to owl, fox, and illness. They are pets and I can’t handle the deaths. We have coyote constantly passing my coop and lots of hawks and eagles. Over it. Everyone stays inside unless I am standing over them.
I have trouble with mine getting killed too. Especially if I have had them a long time. Causes a depressive episode. The price we pay for caring I guess.

How likely is a domestic/possible feral cat to kill chickens? I know cats are common on farms and get along with the chickens there, but I'm wondering about a city cat. Not sure if it has an owner or is just a stray, but he is showing increasing interest my hens. Have caught him in their yard and in my yard. The hens were not alarmed by his presence, but I was! He was laying around intently watching the girls from my side of the yard this afternoon. Now I'm paranoid about leaving the house and not being able to chase the cat away!
In my neck of the woods, a feral cat will kill a young chicken or hatchling in a New York minute. I treat them with the same caution as any other predator. They are usually hungry, and birds are their #1 food source. I’ve read that they kill about 3 billion songbirds in the USA every year. That seems like an awful lot.

Well i have two absolutely amazing dogs who just adore our baby chicks and are already very protective over them.. and have always always been extremely gentle with all all creatures.. why iam so devastated and confused as to what got one of our babies she was just gone with in the matter of a half an hour, they were all out side in there pen nothing dishuffled all the others where fine and still outside acting normal didn’t retreat inside as if for a threat, but one was just gone, we looked everywhere all night all the next day iam still looking it’s been 2 days!! Absolutely devastated heart broken.. no matter what they will not be out of there enclosed coop with us until a top is added..
A predator can do its damage in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Beloved pets here one minute, gone the next, to a very violent death.

Back
Top Bottom