Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I suppose it is a regional question as well. I ticked mink.

A mink can wipe out a flock without taken one bird for a meal. They kill for sport. And come back to finish off what they did not get the first time.

Small, fast and vicious. They fit through a rat hole.
That is why they kill so many. Can't get the bigger chicken out the small hole they came in, so they kill another to try it, again, and again. According to U.L.

C4A9AE77-E9D9-4940-916A-1959973BE2DA.jpeg
F96E4680-1B0D-4595-95A4-FECB461D1ADA.jpeg
4A34A0A1-421B-4D98-9126-0D99FCF1F352.jpeg
D0063008-65D7-44EB-8ABF-CA13AF4A0B1A.jpeg
I chose rats because they are particularly disgusting and breed like rodents. Not only do they eat young fowel, but they keep eating my bird feed. I seem to have an endless supply of them. I shoot them and trap them and I can’t seem to make a dent in the population.

View attachment 1854102 View attachment 1854103 View attachment 1854104 View attachment 1854105 I chose rats because they are particularly disgusting and breed like rodents. Not only do they eat young fowel, but they keep eating my bird feed. I seem to have an endless supply of them. I shoot them and trap them and I can’t seem to make a dent in the population.
get a cat. or cats. or feed the ferals. my cat kills rats. if you have chickens, you have rats. i don't mind them so much. mostly because my cat and the surrounding cats are very effective. or get a terrier. fox terrier or a lurcher. lurchers are quick and quiet. i

get a cat. or cats. or feed the ferals. my cat kills rats. if you have chickens, you have rats. i don't mind them so much. mostly because my cat and the surrounding cats are very effective. or get a terrier. fox terrier or a lurcher. lurchers are quick and quiet. i
All true. I had a major infestation when I moved in a couple months ago. Not realizing it I put chickens in. Now the muroidea are fat as butter and sleek as satin. I have my store in a metal can but that doesn’t keep them from pilfering from the serving tray. I have a wonderful tomcat that likes to bite them in the head. Although he also gets distracted with other little life forms that are no concern of mine. My next step is to put out a bucket with a one way ticket to a little pond. I tried glue traps. Once I caught two rats and a leghorn pullet on one trap. The pullet survived and is doing well. Perhaps I will get a terrier too. If I can get caught up to a few here and there it won’t be so bad. Right now i’d guess I have more than a few dozen breeding does within 30 ft of my coop.

Lots of people use small dogs trained specially for the purpose of chasing and shaking rats to death. There’s quite a few videos on YouTube.

Here’s one that gets the point across;

All true. I had a major infestation when I moved in a couple months ago. Not realizing it I put chickens in. Now the muroidea are fat as butter and sleek as satin. I have my store in a metal can but that doesn’t keep them from pilfering from the serving tray. I have a wonderful tomcat that likes to bite them in the head. Although he also gets distracted with other little life forms that are no concern of mine. My next step is to put out a bucket with a one way ticket to a little pond. I tried glue traps. Once I caught two rats and a leghorn pullet on one trap. The pullet survived and is doing well. Perhaps I will get a terrier too. If I can get caught up to a few here and there it won’t be so bad. Right now i’d guess I have more than a few dozen breeding does within 30 ft of my coop.

Back
Top Bottom