Official BYC Poll: Time for the Vet?

How likely are you to take a bird to a vet?

• Total voters
Oh. Maybe she can give him to a 4H Kid?

He is being removed from the flock because he is no longer able to function as a rooster should. When he attempts to breed the hens, he is rough with them. If I gave him away to go into an other flock, he would still be rough with the hens. The other no kill option would be isolation from his species. I would not be that cruel to him. IMO euthenasia is a kinder option.

Last time I asked a livestock vet for advice on my chickens having worms his response was "Sir, you have 2 options: either I give you a dewormer after which you cannot eat their eggs ever again or option 2: you cull your entire flock right now "(remember:worms in poop!!)
That was the day I decided to ask for help in BYC :highfive:

Last edited:
He is being removed from the flock because he is no longer able to function as a rooster should. When he attempts to breed the hens, he is rough with them. If I gave him away to go into an other flock, he would still be rough with the hens. The other no kill option would be isolation from his species. I would not be that cruel to him. IMO euthenasia is a kinder option.
He had a better life than the vast majority of the male chickens of the world. Better to have one bad moment than waste away in isolation.

Last time I asked a livestock vet for advice on my chickens having worms his response was "Sir, you have 2 options: either I give you a dewormer after which you cannot eat their eggs ever again or option 2: you cull your entire flock right now "(remember:worms in poop!!)
That was the day I decided to ask for help in BYC :highfive:
Wow, that's nuts and so not true!

Oh I didn’t realize that he couldn’t function properly anymore. If he can no longer enjoy life then it’s in his best interest to be put down. I’m sorry that it’s come to this. :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom