Official BYC Poll: Time for the Vet?

How likely are you to take a bird to a vet?

• Total voters
Pics
Voted "it's just a chicken" and "no avian vet nearby". Both of those play into my decision to not have medical help for my birds. I will do whatever I can possibly do to save their lives by myself, but there is a point where it's no longer worth the fight and they are euthanized with dignity.

If the bird were extremely valuable in monetary or genetic terms I'd be more inclined to spend the $300 or more needed for a vet appointment, plus gas for hours of travel. It may seem callous but I don't have that kind of extra spending money. :(

I paid out over £150/$210 in vet fees, for an ex batt that I originally paid £3/$4.20 for, when she was headbutted by my goat, breaking her hip bone. She was a much loved favourite of mine and the children's and I couldn't let her suffer or just cull her but I have also culled birds that MAY have benefitted from veterinary attention but I didn't feel it was worth the money for what I deemed was likely to be an unfavourable outcome.

If I get a sick bird, I will ALWAYS fight for them, doing the best I can with the knowledge I have and with vast amounts of research online and on websites like this one. I have dealt both successfully and unsuccessfully with sourcrop, EYP, egg bound girls, poisoning, fight wounds, frostbite, mites, lice, worms....all the usual suspects....and mostly these can be dealt with (or accepted as hopeless) by the keeper. But sometimes, a particular problem, or a particular bird, warrants the extra push in getting a vet involved xx

There is not a response to fit me. No animal is Just a _________. Fill in the blank. But, my chickens are livestock. I enjoy them, enjoy their company. But, I am all about flock management. I breed forward for flock improvement, and cull as necessary. When I hatch, I choose who will stay and who will go. Those who do not stay go in the crock pot or get sold. I will not take a chicken to the vet, but I would take a fecal sample to the vet for a float.

Sorry my hens are definitely pets.
No need for "sorry". I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. We all have our birds for different reasons. I think we can all agree, that as long as we're not letting an animal suffer unnecessarily, we are all doing what we feel is best for our flocks (and wallets) to the best of our abilities.

I paid out over £150/$210 in vet fees, for an ex batt that I originally paid £3/$4.20 for, when she was headbutted by my goat, breaking her hip bone. She was a much loved favourite of mine and the children's and I couldn't let her suffer or just cull her but I have also culled birds that MAY have benefitted from veterinary attention but I didn't feel it was worth the money for what I deemed was likely to be an unfavourable outcome.

If I get a sick bird, I will ALWAYS fight for them, doing the best I can with the knowledge I have and with vast amounts of research online and on websites like this one. I have dealt both successfully and unsuccessfully with sourcrop, EYP, egg bound girls, poisoning, fight wounds, frostbite, mites, lice, worms....all the usual suspects....and mostly these can be dealt with (or accepted as hopeless) by the keeper. But sometimes, a particular problem, or a particular bird, warrants the extra push in getting a vet involved xx
This is essentially my answer as also. Well said... and LOVE that you included the conversion factor on cost! :highfive:

But I do fecal floats at the vet before worming, which is something that benefits the whole flock with a know outcome and affordable remedy. It's cheaper and easier on my shooks than treating for what I don't have. :)

I voted the bottom, but that doesn't exactly describe it. We don't have a vet around for chickens that I know of, also, if the chicken gets sick, I research on the Internet, and give them home remedies, herbs, etc. plus, they are just chickens, so I'm not going to spend a fortune on a vet.

I added an option for no avian vet nearby.

Back
Top Bottom