Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 117 22.5%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 56 10.8%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • No - Never

Votes: 163 31.3%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 97 18.7%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 19 3.7%

• Total voters
Pics

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Coop Poll.png

We all know how much dust those birds can create, so I'm just wondering who wears some kind of respiratory protection when they are in and around the coop - and when!

Have you had any issues from not wearing a mask?

Please vote and leave a comment below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wear anything, though I probably should. Depending on the cleaning (deep litter, monthly summer clean, dusting, etc.), I sometimes have to step out for fresh air. Spring cleanout is usually pretty rough. Adding shavings can be rough too, as it sometimes has a lot of dust.

I wear a N95 mask when handling birds, or cleaning out there. Just visiting, not usually. A friend died of Histoplasmosis, and I have asthma, so being careful is a good thing!
Mary
Oh my goodness that’s awful! Sorry to hear that! Yes, something like that would certainly teach you to mask up! My husband has cystic fibrosis, I don’t even really like him being in the coop to visit the birds, let alone when I do any kind of cleaning, because I worry about him.

I don't wear anything, though I probably should. Depending on the cleaning (deep litter, monthly summer clean, dusting, etc.), I sometimes have to step out for fresh air. Spring cleanout is usually pretty rough. Adding shavings can be rough too, as it sometimes has a lot of dust.
I don’t wear anything either, but keep thinking I should. I’m the same, I usually just step out for some fresh air. The worst that happens with me with the dust from shavings is my eyes get itchy.

Back
Top Bottom