Official BYC Poll: What Are The Top Causes of Death in Your Backyard Flock?

What Are The Top Causes of Death in Your Backyard Flock?

• Predators

Votes: 168 54.4%
  • Parasites

Votes: 17 5.5%
  • Cannibalism

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Poor Nutrition

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Injury

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • Disease

Votes: 83 26.9%
  • Poisoning

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Hyperthermia (Overheating)

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Processing (for food purposes)

Votes: 56 18.1%
  • Old Age

Votes: 69 22.3%
  • Unknown Cause

Votes: 89 28.8%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 28 9.1%

• Total voters
Pics
It makes me feel so bad that I've NEVER had a chicken die of old age. It was always a dang opossum or raccoon or bird. One almost did, she was 4, but she got taken by a hawk. In our backyard. I cried.

*I don't know if it was a hawk or an eagle*
PLEASE DON'T FEEL BAD. We do what we can to keep them safe. Remember, a lot of the rare breeds would not exist at all, unless for our care. Human beings are constantly trashed for wrecking the world, but, in my experience, humans are trying their utmost to save things. Everybody puts up nesting boxes, everybody feeds hedgehogs, everybody grows evergreens and berrying plants to feed the birds in winter. Nature works as it does. We are helping.

The fact that just about everything eats poultry, that predators fall from the sky, come creeping out from behind every bush, and wag their gleeful tails while moments later wreaking carnage on beloved hens is a tough reality for most poultry keepers. However death sometimes also occurs as a result of our own mistakes or oversight while some may also process their backyard flock for food purposes.

Whatever the cause, in this poll, we'd like to find out: What Are The Top Causes of Death in Your Backyard Flock?

Feel free to choose multiple answers and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2553138

Further reading:

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Most of mine drown in our pond 😭

We have had two chicks die of gnats. They were in their "ugly stage" and we had them outside in a run to get used to being outside. The gnats got into their nostrils and suffocated and killed them. Now we check our young chickens nostrils every day in the summer.

No option for becoming dinner?
Screenshot (1380).png
;)

Back
Top Bottom