Official BYC Poll - What Breed Characteristic Is Most Important?

What is your most important charachteristic when choosing a breed?

• Climate Hardiness

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Meat Production

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aesthetics / Looks / Showability

• Egg Production / Quantity

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Temperament / Personality

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Egg Color

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Heritage / Endangered

• Total voters

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
There are a TON of reasons why we choose the breeds we do, but everybody has a specific characteristic that are the most important... so, what's yours?

Our Chicken Breeds section really shows off the ton of diversity in chicken breeds. Here are the characteristics often used when deciding on a specific breed:

Climate Hardiness
Meat Production
Aesthetics / Looks / Showability
Egg Production / Quantity
Temperament / Personality
Egg Color
Heritage, Endangered

It may be hard to choose just one, but do your best!
big_smile.png

Personality is so important , when everyone is fighting it will turn out like the American economy. So if you chicks have a pleasant personality and temperment, most everything else works its way out.

It is hard to chose one characteristic. I am looking for a good cold hardy, meat/egg layer combo, with a great personality! Heritage breed is icing on the cake. I am working with Marans right now and I love egg color but right now it is not important. I am going to try a few Wyndottes next year as I think they are going to be the perfect meat/egg combo bird for our Vermont location.

I guess in order of importance I have

1. Climate Hardiness
2. Meat/Egg combo bird
3. looks*
4. Personality/Temperment
5. Heritage
6. Egg color

*I have to keep "pretty" birds as they range on my neighbors lawn, and she likes to see "all the colorful chickens". I rank it high 'cuz it's a good neighbor thing.

Rob,

I had a hard time picking just one trait:-(

1.) winter hardy for sure
2.) temperment
3.) egg color-doesnt matter how often they lay just as long as I get some eggies couple times a week!

I chose temperament/personality because while it isn't the characteristic that gets you in the door, with very limited space it's the one that determines which birds stay. The ones that get you in the door are aesthetics, egg production, and egg color. Production qualities are important, but with so many breeds out there that meet my production needs I really want a "pretty" bird too.

It never ceases to amaze me how many folks choose for personality/temperament when choosing a food animal. Clearly, BYC folks are more into raising chickens for the pet factor than for food production....which still amazes me.

Need an option for Dual Purpose. It's really tough to choose whether egg production or meat is more important, so I went with Heritage/Endangered because lots of those birds are suitable for both.

Cold hardiness is quite important, but Egg color is just for fun!

Back
Top Bottom