Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do To Make Your Chicks/Pullets Roost?

What Do You Do To Make Your Chicks/Pullets Roost?

• I let them practice when they are only a few weeks old by putting a perch in their coop

Votes: 123 64.7%
  • I wait until they are POL and put them on a roost every evening

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • I just wait and see

Votes: 79 41.6%
  • My chickens don’t roost

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters
I put a little piece of wood sideways in the brooder.they perched on it without getting closer to the heat lamp . When I moved them to the coop they roosted on their own

I had some 2 foot long 1/4" dowels from a craft project, and tuck-taped one across two no-name soup cans for the kiddies at 2 weeks or so, because a couple over-achievers were sitting on top of (and pooping into) the waterer. The cans were unopened and so had some weight to them.

This is simple! Remember, you are dealing with kids now...

Point to where you want them to roost just once, and sternly say NO !! Stay OFF that, you are NOT allowed up there!!
By night fall they all will be right up there.

Aaron
That is so true.
Whenever I tell them to get off the flower beds, they get off, then when I'm not watching, the hop right back up! :he

Around a week old. I put a perch on brooder floor and the chicks just hop on and off as they please. As they get older I just raise it accordingly. Once they start jumping on mamas back I know to raise it off the floor. Lol

That is so true.
Whenever I tell them to get off the flower beds, they get off, then when I'm not watching, the hop right back up! :he
Tell me about it, between the flower beds and the porch, they never listen, but I guess the porch is a better place than the flower beds, they just poop there and haven't figured how to dig through concrete... yet...

Aaron

I have a pastured flock. They have movable roost but my rooster and five hens never use them, However I have 3 chicks (one's a pullet) one is almost 4 weeks and the other two are around 3 weeks, and they LOVE the roost. One of the chicks wanted to get on the big roost so he jumped onto my rooster's back and hoped on the big roost. I just had nine chicks hatch on Saturday, and they where put in the dome today. They are all using the roost. Anyways, I always leave it up to my chickens, if they want to roost they can.

I gave them a little 6" high roost bar in the brood box then lifted them up on the 12" high roost bar at 4 weeks when I moved them outside to the baby coop and after a day or two they were getting up on their own. At 8 wks I raised the bar to 24" high and they just went up on their own. They are now in the big coop with the mature chickens and I have 24" and 36" roost bars, so they choose the ones they want. Pretty smart chickies!

Last edited:
Ours perched on the side of a cardboard box at a few weeks old. This was our second crew. Then, we added another box inside the other box to make more room for them to roam around.

Third crew mama brought out her chicks into the run. One was two days old and other two a day old. Mama did a good job of teaching them every thing. I got to watch in the run. This was really cool to watch. This crew took about a couple of weeks I say by the time they got up on the roost in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom