Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Broody Hens?

What do you do with broody hens?

• Leave them without eggs until they stop

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • Take them out every day

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • Break them

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • Give them eggs within the flock

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • Separate them and give them eggs

Votes: 47 25.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 24 13.1%

• Total voters
Pics
Some of my Wyandottes get broody but not for long.

Ok sorry, but I gotta blab about Chanel because I just love her so much!
Chanel is my broody mama, she will practically camp out in the nestbox this time of year. When I collect eggs 2x a day, I gently pick her up & take her out of the nest box, to make her come outside to eat fresh chickweed, drink water & take a dust bath, in the pen. She never even growls or pecks at me, she knows I love her. Whenever I do get chicks, or hatch eggs, she gets to be mama & she is truly a wonderful surrogate mama! I kinda rescued her, at an auction, no one wanted the "old lady" looking hen. That was abt 6 yrs ago, so no clue how old she really is. Doesn't matter, I love her so much! She was so frightened at that auction. When I 1st held her & pet her, talking softly, she looked up, stared right into my eyes & relaxed. She snuggles on my lap easily. I think she is a Buff Brahma mix. A Sweetheart Hen! ❤️

1601489388046_image.png
20201203_111628.jpg 20201107_150011.jpg 20201203_135448.jpg 20210203_105501.jpg

Some of my Wyandottes get broody but not for long.

Ok sorry, but I gotta blab about Chanel because I just love her so much!
Chanel is my broody mama, she will practically camp out in the nestbox this time of year. When I collect eggs 2x a day, I gently pick her up & take her out of the nest box, to make her come outside to eat fresh chickweed, drink water & take a dust bath, in the pen. She never even growls or pecks at me, she knows I love her. Whenever I do get chicks, or hatch eggs, she gets to be mama & she is truly a wonderful surrogate mama! I kinda rescued her, at an auction, no one wanted the "old lady" looking hen. That was abt 6 yrs ago, so no clue how old she really is. Doesn't matter, I love her so much! She was so frightened at that auction. When I 1st held her & pet her, talking softly, she looked up, stared right into my eyes & relaxed. She snuggles on my lap easily. I think she is a Buff Brahma mix. A Sweetheart Hen! ❤️

View attachment 3068120
View attachment 3068140View attachment 3068143View attachment 3068149View attachment 3068152
Beautiful mama.

Back
Top Bottom