Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Seriously Sick/Injured Chickens?

What Do You Do With Seriously Sick/Injured Chickens?

• Visit a vet

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • Ask on our forum for advice

Votes: 108 60.0%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • Take her/him into the house to quarantine and TLC

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • Give medicines if I think it might help

Votes: 85 47.2%
  • Cull the bird if it looks bad

Votes: 87 48.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
I've only had one injured bird and found the treatment information I needed here. She recovered with isolation in a dog crate and antibiotic ointment.

I cannot envision spending money on a vet visit for a chicken. They're livestock, not pets.

I envy anyone who has a good accessible chicken vet at reasonable cost- around here finding one is nearly impossible save for an avian vet- and a friend of mine who takes her very special chickens to the vet has never gotten out of there for less than $300 ... for antibiotics or an x-ray and "keep in a crate for 3 weeks" ... in other words, minus the x-ray - advice that can be found here!!!!

I cull outright or let nature take its course. I only intercede to try to save the bird if the bird seems like it likely would recover with my intervention and the issue isn’t one born of some inferiority of the bird over other chickens. I might would try harder if it was an exceptional individual important to my breeding programs. For instance, I place both important breeding and pet significance for my brood cock, therefore I’d try hard to save him if there was a chance to be successful. Of my 70 or so head of chicken I currently have, I only have around 7 I consider non-expendable.

I envy anyone who has a good accessible chicken vet at reasonable cost- around here finding one is nearly impossible save for an avian vet- and a friend of mine who takes her very special chickens to the vet has never gotten out of there for less than $300 ... for antibiotics or an x-ray and "keep in a crate for 3 weeks" ... in other words, minus the x-ray - advice that can be found here!!!!
A chicken appointment at my local vet doesn't cost any more than £30.
My chick had an ingrown feather problem and it only cost around £16 including the medicine. I was shocked!

Depends on the issue. I don't often have problems with my chooks. I had one with a very bad prolapse a year or so ago, that by the time she showed signs of distress, it was too far gone to help her already. There was a LOT of tissue protruding, some of it was necrotic already and it was obviously not treatable; we culled her as soon as we saw the problem, poor thing. Right now we have one in the house being treated for an injury caused by a neighbor's dog that got hold of her last week. We did not realize for several days that she was injured. We knew two of the chickens had lost some feathers, but none of them acted hurt in any way until we saw her huddled in a corner one evening about two nights ago. On inspection we saw a two-inch wide hole between her wings with some depth to it. We cleaned her up and removed half a dozen maggots, sprayed with Vetrycin and BluKote and crated her in the house. Next morning we cleaned her again, checked for maggots, found none and coated the wound with Neosporin. She seems to be doing well. We are also giving electrolytes in her water. All these treatments are things I have learned here, so thank you, BYC Educators! Mostly @Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, @azygous, and @aart. ❤ Love you guys!

I had a Polish Pullet completely scalped by RIRs. I found her in a pool of blood with a faint heart beat and not breathing. I gave her Chicken CPR. Immediately took pictures and my cry out for help on BYC was answered by @LaFleche from Germany!! After 6 weeks of the Vicki Chicken Infirmary, she healed and was ready to go back outside. That was a success story plus a name change for her to "The Iron Maiden".
The other issues helped by BYC were worms and sour crop and a sudden death . All fixable, except the death one was too quick to try to fix. As she had reproduction issues and an Impacted crop and Gizzard. The next one that again @LaFleche helped me with successfully, was introducing 10 chicks from a Hatchery to my Broodie Polish Bearded Silver Lace girl. After 2:10 died, at 8 weeks now, all eight of them are thriving. :wee
I don't have a poultry vet around but, I'd try my best with the Expert Advice from BYC husbandry. Otherwise, nature would have to take over. As I can only do so much. But, I can do A LOT!! And I'm willing to try. I LOVE my chicken hobby as I currently have chicken math at 15 and thinking about adding 5 more.
My husband said "Vicki!, I'm not building you another coop". I said
" You don't have to, I'll just need a room addition!!". He was Speechless!! :lau

I've only had one injured bird and found the treatment information I needed here. She recovered with isolation in a dog crate and antibiotic ointment.

I cannot envision spending money on a vet visit for a chicken. They're livestock, not pets.
I did and I would do it a million times over. My chickens I consider the same as a dog or cat. I’ve raised some since birth. People also raise them for livestock which I respect but not everyone does. I would do anything to help them.

Back
Top Bottom