Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
Maybe if I had had more time to work with him it would have eventually worked? But he injured one pullet so badly it took 3 weeks to heal so I didn't trust him afterwards. And living separated, even in sight of the others, isn't much of a life. Oddly he easily learned other things, like to go sleep in our woodshed?! But where he was related to at least some of my flock (there wasn't quite enough time between different roosters so I had some unexpected genetics) I wouldn't have wanted him for breeding. He was so determined it seemed like I could spend months working with him and be in the same boat. He would leave the pullets and lurk on the other side of the property waiting to see if I would come out other doors then run for me. :rolleyes: One time he was so focused on me he tripped over a flower pot. Still wish I'd gotten a video!
Oh, goodness! How silly to think the hand that feeds is a predator! My last roo did the mating dance with me and tried to spur my husband and son. His 4mo cockerel is about to be rehomed just like he was.

My rooster is aggressive, but he's only doing his job. I carry a stick with me when I enter the run. As long as I keep the stick stretched out in his direction he won't attack me. We have a half door on the coop so I just close it behind me so he can't seek up while me guard is down. He's happy, I'm happy .. chickens are being protected.
Yes, indeed there is a place for roos to be aggressive! I keep Chanteclers and I actually like that quality when it comes to the occasional friend’s dog that becomes too inquisitive, even my own young LGD if she needs ‘learning’, coyotes and raccoons, etc.!
However, on any regular day (should us farmers ever have one of those!🤞); I like quiet, kind, well-behaved roosters!! That can be achieved with the method our colleague described and I tried to outline in my previous post.
Happy Roo-living,
Kathy :)

I remember watching this video, along with some other vids and blog suggestions but in the end it didn't work for me. :/ They had some good advice that I imagine would work for many people though. Some people sadly suggest dangerous or abusive things. Things in my case would improve for a matter of hours and then he'd have another go at me which became ridiculously time consuming and he was a danger to the pullets. He was biting me and drawing blood often despite being hand-raised. When he was about 5 months old or so (and very large) I was able to trade him back to where I got him for a beautiful pullet from the group he was hatched (which was its own adventure).
Yep, thats exactly what i did once or twice a day depending on his mood. My wife still does it, although he hasn't gone after her in months. Not sure if he thinks we are playing or he finds me an interloper trying to steal his ladies. Either way i do not have time to deal with him more than once a day. I will add he trie to sneak up on me a few days ago as i was putting out scratch. I ACCIDENTALLY smacked him mid flight with a trash can lid. I think it was the sound but he hasn't flogged my legs since. About 4 or 5 days. Of course i have also been dealing with severe plantar faciaitis and sciatica so haven't been working in the yard for 10 12 hours a day either.
Guess we will see come Monday.

I chose other, because it depends on what "aggressive" means. I've never actually had a roo that was aggressive towards humans, so I can only guess as to what I would do in that situation. I might tolerate it for a bit, and try to train him. But if that didn't work.... he's probably either going to the pot or somebody else's house.
I have had a roo that was aggressive to my hens. My two favorite hens. I named him Stu. And, yup. We ate him.

But if I had had him when he was younger, and bonded with him then, he might have lasted longer.
I am not so sure about that bonding part. Rodger spent hours roosting on my legs. Every time i took a break and sat in the back yard Cindy and her sister Cindy Lou would jump in my lap and Rodger would perch on knee or ankle. Spent lots of time feeding him out of my hand. About 2 years old he became a sneaky little #%@& and started running all the way across the yard to cut me off. Then when i walked past he would strike.
Maybe he got mad because i quit spending so much time with him.lol

We have a family friend who lives on a good sized farm who is always willing to take our hostile roosters. There is a lot of space for him to chill with their chickens and not bother the humans.

Well apparently Rodgers memory span is about 15 days. He must have forgot the trash can lid cuz he jumped today. Really PO'd because i was all cleaned up to go to a party. And since i was wearing shorts he brought blood. So i had to go clean my shoes, clean my leg and change my socks. He has no ideal how lucky it was for him that i was in a hurry to leave....lOL
@#^%$##&% ROOSTER.

Back
Top Bottom