Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Male chickens (roosters) are naturally more aggressive than females, it's just the natural order of things. It is his job to defend his flock against threats from predators and other roosters that might be looking to mate with his hens. It's his responsibility to care for the flock and its needs and that includes mating with as many hens as possible to ensure the success of his flock. Roosters are wired to protect the hens.

While roosters are a beautiful (and loud) addition to every flock, fear of an aggressive rooster can make many people back down. So we have to ask: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

OFFICIAL BYC POLL (31).png

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
I put them in “jail” for a month or so if they’re super aggressive towards the other birds. My one mega aggressive roo we had (which was our first experience with a rooster lol) was so bad that we’d go in the coop with one of those cheep plastic wiffle ball bats to defend ourselves. He got better as a free ranged. The ground rules kind of became you run at me and I run at you.

He got one freebie, when he charged me while snatching up hens to weigh them. Then he attacked my wife, while she threw treats to the flock.

That evening, he became sausage. Tasty, if a bit fatty. I should have targeted 22% fat in the sausage, rather than 26-28%, chicken fat is far less firm at room temp than cow or pig fat. Live and learn. Well, I did. ;)

But yes, based on age, either stew or sausage.

Most males I cull before they are old enough to seriously show interest in the girls, so their hormones have not driven them to full aggression, merely dominance displays.

I haven't had any aggressive roosters yet. My in-town rooster was a mild-mannered Light Brahma. The "Red Boys", my packing peanuts, were eaten at the age where they started to get annoying so potential aggression hadn't shown up yet.

I am getting some straight-run chicks this year and plan to eat any aggressive cockerels.

Care to share the recipe for the sausage?
I'm about to lose my street cred here.

Disrobe and debone the chicken, reducing meat to chunks not more than 1/2" cubes - same with any subcutaneous fat. Set in a single layer on a 1/2 sheet pan, and chill to near freezing.

Set up your sausage grinder while you wait, use your largest die from the standard set (you want a 3/16-5/16" grind here +/-) and a large bowl.

Sprinkle the near frozen chicken cuts with Legg's Snack Stick Seasoning #116 based on weight. Add pink salt (Prague Powder #2) based on weight. Toss to ensure even coating. Process thru the sausage grinder as normal, either directly into casings, or into the bowl and from there, press into casings and tie. Best results with smoked collagen casings of medium diameter - not a bratwurst, knockwurst, or summer sausage size.

Move fresh sausages to the fridge at least 24 hours to chill and dry. 48-72 is better.

Smoke 1-3 hours at low heat over a mild wood - I like hickory or oak. Transfer on a 1/2 sheet pan to the oven and finish, bringing internal temp to 165 degrees. This is where you find if you overstuffed your casings - they should be firm, but not split.

Serve immediately, or cool and store in the fridge for later.

Tastes like a hot dog, only a hot dog you actually want to eat!

(I've not figured their mix out yet of spices - I know it has onion, garlic, mustard, coriander, black pepper - all things I keep on hand in quantity. I suspect it has a handful of additional spices in small quantity I don't much keep around, like mace. Sadly, due to an auto accident, my palette is no longer discerning - I trust my wife on this.)

/edit If you don't put this in casings, it makes excellent (if a bit pepper-y) pre-seasoned chicken burgers. Toasted sourdough bun (homemade), whole egg mayo (also homemade), thick slice of fresh tomato, maybe some pickle (again, homemade).

Last edited:
When I was real little we would butcher them. Now that I have my own chickens I have only had one mean rooster. A little Silver Duckwing. As long as he was not at the top of the pecking order he was good. For 2 years he should come a flog my leg or my hand when giving them their food. Finally this year he calmed down and was very nice. I pretty much didn't pay attention to him when he did it.

Back
Top Bottom