Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
Pics
That's so sweet, hopefully senior will show junior the ropes as time goes!
Do you have any other roosters?

We also have a Silkie, Jersey Giant and Pekin roosters. While they are all sweethearts, I have found that our buff orpington roosters are the the kindest and most loving of all of them. To both us and their ladies!
We have about 30 roos. 2 BO, 8 Leghorns, and 20 Welsummers. They free range. Then hens are in a pen, keeps the roos around....

Its understandable with layers since they were bred solely for production not a drop of emphasis was put towards the roosters so whats left is basically a chicken with no intelligence. They can be looked at as just a byproduct of breeding. They're just kinda there. No wild instinct left. Its not their fault.

What I’m working on now, is crossing hatchery raised layers, with a hen raised game roosters. The roosters were never hand reared, and for a few generations have been pretty much survived from foraging, and the occasional corn that was thrown out. They’re very predator savvy, and take excellent care of the hens. The first batch of chicks are now
Almost six weeks old, with another 22 in the incubator for another week

I currently have 6 roosters. Two will be culled this Friday. 4 are currently with their own group of hens hopefully producing fertile eggs. I am hoping to hatch about 150 chicks this year... and maybe I can take a few to one or two shows this fall.
Besides the shows I also enjoy getting meat out of the ones that are not good enough for show.

I used to have roosters for about 20 years in my location. Then a neighbor had about 8 and would let them crow all the time. The neighbor's coop was not visible, mine was. I got the blame. They said no roosters in the development. Well the other neighbor moved away, and I still have my roosters, but I keep them quiet, and are development does no action just whines and points fingers, but I have not had any complaints in the last 10.

4s.PNG

My roosters are young though may not breed until May. Above is "Blue" Blue cochin 5 months
Below is Casper. 4 months old
4q.PNG

And Dizzy 5 months He is the coop jester.
4pa.PNG

Back
Top Bottom