Official BYC Poll: What Do Your Chickens Live In?

What Do Your Chickens Live In?

• Coop Only

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Coop + Open space / free-range / no fencing

Votes: 50 9.5%
  • Coop + Entire fenced backyard / area

Votes: 75 14.3%
  • Coop + Enclosed Run

Votes: 139 26.5%
  • Coop + Enclosed Run + Access to yard

Votes: 241 46.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 15 2.9%

• Total voters
Awesome coop/run ! Love the name too šŸ˜Š
Having raised many a puppy and with kittens / chickens / cockatiels etc - now is the best time while sheā€™s a puppy - will defiantly take some extra work & patience ,but in the long run it will be worth it . She will be their protector ! Just yesterday my ā€œherding catā€ (I call her ) watching over the girls free ranging managed to deter a hawk attack !
her name is Sassy Ass and she thinks those chickens are hers now !!
Anyway food for thought , your definitely the better judge in your situation than I could ever be .
Thank you so much - you are right, I'm sure. I need to put in the work with the puppy to get her to be better with the chickens, and with the cat. Your cat is gorgeous, by the way!

We actually have two coops. One of them is a simple run with a small elevated coop inside, which we use for our young chickens. We have six young chickens that sleep in there at the moment, but they are let out all day to free range with the rest of the chickens. We also have a horse shed with a coop built into part of it and a very large fenced area around the entire thing. The chickens have access to the coop, shed, fenced area, and are let out almost every day to free range the rest of our property, which is 11 acres.

My husband built a coop on a repurposed trailer we found on our property. The run is built on an unwanted frame of a green house that a neighbor inherited when they bought their house. Gotta love using "found" stuff! The chicken wire, hardware cloth, fencing, zip ties, roofing, and some of the lumber weren't free, so did cost about $300 all told.
Thats awesome! Mine cost that with one more zero šŸ˜³šŸ„ā¤ļø

We don't have many chickens, so we repurposed an old unused dog house , the back opens up completely and it's raised to be easy to remove bedding into the wheelbarrow. They have a ramp down into a large run ( covered) but NO free ranging here . We have 3 nesting boxes and a perch for roosting with a Heat lamp for our Canadian Winters . I like that I can walk into the chicken yard without having to worry about headroom !!!

9770EC9F-3631-4285-A8C1-28F0A7BB88D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom