Official BYC Poll: What Factors Affect Your Chicken Feed Buying Decisions?

What Factors Affect Your Chicken Feed Buying Decisions?

• Lowest price

Votes: 83 36.7%
  • Non-GMO

Votes: 58 25.7%
  • Organic

Votes: 60 26.5%
  • Soy-free

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • Wheat-free

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Corn-free

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Medicated

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Unmedicated

Votes: 84 37.2%
  • Vitamin & mineral concentrations

Votes: 55 24.3%
  • Vitamin & mineral varieties

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • Added insects

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Added enzymes & probiotics

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • Protein / fat / fiber content

Votes: 130 57.5%
  • Brand name

Votes: 37 16.4%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 39 17.3%

• Total voters
Is medicated feed bad?
Of course not. Unless you're anti-science. Medicated feed is fed only to newly hatched chicks to protect them from coccidiosis, which can be serious and even lethal. Once they build up their immunity (which the medicated feed helps do), they don't need it anymore. So it's only fed short term, but the benefits last a lifetime. And it's a preventative measure, not a cure. Better safe than sorry kind of thing. Your chicks might be fine without it, or they might not. Depends on whether you want to take the risk. I don't like taking unnecessary risks and risking preventable diseases, so I feed my chicks medicated feed when they are young.

Other: Availability.

I get the layer feed from our local produce store (or starter/grower when there's younger ones). There's not really options to different brands, just the choice of pellet and scratch.

I mostly buy pellet which is in a feeder so there's less chance of them picking and choosing the bits they want to eat and potentially missing out on nutrients. I occasionally buy bag of the scratch which I scatter around the ground. This gives them something to forage for, and because they do a great job of turning the soil over and fertilising it, when it rains the uneaten grains have grown into green shoots like grass (their run is a fixed enclosure and not safe for them to free-range here, so no grass has grown in there since before we bought this house).

Since corn generates heat, corn free feed is better during the long Texas summers. I also like to use more locally sourced feed (supporting local farmers) if it's possible to do that and get what I want.

I chose: corn-free, soy-free, organic, unmedicated, and other.

One big factor in choosing feed is the form of the feed itself. Our girls prefer Scratch and Peck's 16% layer feed, so long as it's the grain and not the pellets. The pellets are too big for most of them to eat.

Another factor: while we normally stick to our feed of choice, we like Nature's Best organic starter/grower feed until they're ready for laying. And we'll use Nutrena's feather fixer when they're molting.

Back
Top Bottom