Official BYC Poll: What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

• Red

Votes: 119 49.4%
  • Clear

Votes: 21 8.7%
  • Ceramic Emitter

Votes: 34 14.1%
  • 50 Watt

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 60 Watt

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 75 Watt

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • 100 Watt

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • 250 Watt

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don't use heat lamps

Votes: 73 30.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 32 13.3%

• Total voters
In conditions where the temperature reaches extreme lows, many chicken owners decide to provide supplemental heat - with heat lamps being one of them. Heat lamps are a good way to warm up small birds or injured birds. Young chicks and bantams may need them in extremely cold environments. For some, heat lamps are successful because they heat up objects and not the air. Although many are worried about fire hazards with heat lamps, if the heat lamp is set at the correct height and kept dust-free, there is minimal risk.

In this poll we would like to find out: What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

Feel free to choose multiple answers and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2608590

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I use a ceramic heat lamp which is anchored on the ceiling of the coop that us about 3 feet high. I also use a large heat pad on the floor for my 5 Silkies. I use it during the winter months. For my chicks, I keep them in a heated out bldg kept at about 70 degrees with a ceramic heat lamp located over their heads at about 18" along with a reptile heat pad located under the cage.
I must say, I baby my chickens, quail and game birds with heat lamps and pads in the winter and shade in the summer along with an air conditioner in my out bldg during the summer for the babies.

In conditions where the temperature reaches extreme lows, many chicken owners decide to provide supplemental heat - with heat lamps being one of them. Heat lamps are a good way to warm up small birds or injured birds. Young chicks and bantams may need them in extremely cold environments. For some, heat lamps are successful because they heat up objects and not the air. Although many are worried about fire hazards with heat lamps, if the heat lamp is set at the correct height and kept dust-free, there is minimal risk.

Feel free to choose multiple answers and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2608590

Further Reading:
i use the heat plates for chicks. our temps here do not require heat in coops. i love the heat plates because there is no concern re: fire, the chicks go to bed as dusk and wake up with sun, more natural. They feather out pretty fast as they are not in heat all the time. like mother nature they go in and out of heat plate so they feel the real temp and they go under to get warm. a bonus if you are keeping them inside is that they dont make noise at night because they are sleeping. i get mine from premier one supplies.

I use Infrareds for chick brooding and the ceramic emitter for hospital use.
I have my bulbs protected by a lamp cage and situated at one end so chicks can choose their own warmth level.
I've since upgraded my brooder to put automatic waterers in - got tired of cleaning shavings out of the jar versions :p

20210106_074908.jpg
20210106_075617.jpg

For eight years, I used a heat lamp. I wasn’t planning on adding chicks this year so I told myself the next time I get little ones, I will get a brooder plate. A week after I made this decision, I came home with ducklings and a brooder plate.
I recommend the brooder plate!

View attachment 2608590

Further Reading:
I use a brooder box. The chicks seem healthier, maybe because they have dark periods and sleep better than they would with a light on 24/7.

I have 60w red bulbs... They are warmer (more concentrated) on the smaller brooder (more warmth) and as they move to a bigger brooder with more room, the bulb is less concentrated on it so it's less warm!

I do use 2-250 Red Bulbed Heat Lamps in Winter, in my coop, when I know the temp is gonna be below freezing, which isnt so often, here in South Texas. ( This year I was glad I had them cause when that Polar Vortex of a storm came thru, I don't believe all my chickens would of survived. I still lost one and one of my Roosters got frostbite on his comb and waddle, probably due to the Rolling Black-Outs.) I have them mounted from the ceiling where they can't come loose. Believe it or not, though, I did install a Smoke Detector in there, just to be on the safe side. Also, next to my Incubator, in the house, I have a small box that I put the newly hatched chicks in, after letting them dry in the Incubator for a day or two. And I have a 250 Red bulb Heat Lamp mounted on the wall, for them, but I have it about 2 1/2' above them so they don't get over heated. The thermometer on top of box reads 100%, just the right temp. 😊

Back
Top Bottom