Official BYC Poll: What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

• Red

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Clear

Votes: 21 8.7%
  • Ceramic Emitter

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • 50 Watt

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 60 Watt

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 75 Watt

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • 100 Watt

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • 250 Watt

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don't use heat lamps

Votes: 74 30.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 32 13.2%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
In conditions where the temperature reaches extreme lows, many chicken owners decide to provide supplemental heat - with heat lamps being one of them. Heat lamps are a good way to warm up small birds or injured birds. Young chicks and bantams may need them in extremely cold environments. For some, heat lamps are successful because they heat up objects and not the air. Although many are worried about fire hazards with heat lamps, if the heat lamp is set at the correct height and kept dust-free, there is minimal risk.

In this poll we would like to find out: What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official byc poll (27).png

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
I have a variety of set-ups based on age, type of birds, and ambient temperatures. I use an indoor brooder with an 80W ceramic bulb, I have a shed brooder with both heat plate and 250W red bulb capabilities. For winter, I have a heated shed attached to my sub aviary with a thermostat to start electric heater at temps below 50* and I have a cozy coop flat panel heater if I ever have a need for supplemental heat in a coop or hideaway.

I like to use UVB reptile bulbs in the brooder. The wattage depends on the time of year & how old the babies are.

For brand new chicks in early spring I like to use a combo of clear UVB & purple. This gives them a more natural looking light during the day & allows me to take better pictures with no red tint. The purple light allows me to check on them at night if I need to.

*Note: Reptile bulbs are recommended to be used with hoods that have a ceramic base for safety reasons. Please look inside of the hood for wattage recommendations before you buy the hood or the bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom