Official BYC Poll: What Is Your Least Favorite Thing About Keeping Chickens?

What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

• Cleaning out poopy bedding.

Votes: 142 31.6%
  • Preventing picking and overcrowding.

Votes: 37 8.2%
  • Keeping one step ahead of predators

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • Coping with illness/parasites.

Votes: 187 41.6%
  • Refreshing & refilling the feed and water.

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Closing your flock up at night and letting them out in the morning.

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Dealing with aggressive roosters

Votes: 44 9.8%
  • Nothing! I love everything about it.

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 66 14.7%
  • Dealing with death in the flock

Votes: 188 41.8%

• Total voters
I chose poop (it's everywhere!) and feeding/watering because both of these chores must be completed regardless of how hot it is. Feels like hell down here in Texas most of the time.

My other is their mischief. Don't get me wrong, it can also be a favorite but sometimes I just want them to behave.

You want eggs? Too bad I'm going to hide them in the woods. -Tweety

You want sleep? Too bad I'm going to crow all night because the neighbor's dog barked. -Hulk

You want to sit outside and enjoy your coffee this morning? Too bad I'm going to crap on your chair.
-Squeaks

Luckily I deal with very few health issues. Health is a natural state of being and I do nothing to compromise that.

I love my flock, and I definitely struggle most with the death and illness aspect, but since losing a bird has been an extremely rare occurrence thus far, changing frozen waterers on those 0 degree days is the one thing I cannot stand. I hate everything about it, carrying out the water and freezing my fingers chipping the ice out, and I hate heaters because I need to run a cord out and I'm terrified I'll electrocute somebody!
It's a relatively minor thing compared with predators and all the little sicknesses the birds pick up like mites and bumblefoot, but gosh some winter days carrying out that pitcher of water knowing I'll need to do it again in an hour is torment.

The poop minefield at the front door, walkway along with the grass and dirt they kick up on it lol 100 birds and they want to hang out around the porch all day.
Yes! What is with hanging out on the porch?! They nap and poop all over the back stoop! Least favorite part by far is the poop (not in the coop, but everywhere else).

I enjoy taking care of not only my chickens, but all of my animals. Even though I do not consider my chickens pets. It is not pleasant to lose any of them. If you are going to keep animals. You have to except that no matter how well you take care of them. You are going to lose some. I have found in my experience. That it will usually be the most expensive, well bred or unique (looks or personality) ones.

Back
Top Bottom