Official BYC Poll: What Is Your Least Favorite Thing About Keeping Chickens?

What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

• Cleaning out poopy bedding.

Votes: 142 31.6%
  • Preventing picking and overcrowding.

Votes: 37 8.2%
  • Keeping one step ahead of predators

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • Coping with illness/parasites.

Votes: 187 41.6%
  • Refreshing & refilling the feed and water.

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Closing your flock up at night and letting them out in the morning.

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Dealing with aggressive roosters

Votes: 44 9.8%
  • Nothing! I love everything about it.

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 66 14.7%
  • Dealing with death in the flock

Votes: 188 41.8%

• Total voters
I was going to say dealing with food and water every morning, but that really the ducks. The chickens are much easier to manage.

It's my rooster right now. He's teeny and cute, but he hates me and tries to kill me regularly. If I didn't feel responsible for the little creep, he'd be gone.

But I know that illness/death of my birds will be the hardest/worst aspect by far.

Getting rid of unwanted roos. I'm having to try to find a home for one now.
20210917_164057.jpg

Having birds I raised by hand act like I'm a boogeyman. God almighty, I'll never understand how a bird can go from falling asleep in your hand as a chick to shrieking bloody murder upon being caught.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-9-2/

“And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.”

It's by design don't take offense

poop is nothing compared to a broody with chicks and most of the favourites chicks are cockerels

I started cheating and getting day old pullets for the broodies. Every now and again there's the oops cockerels- but much better than finding 6 of 8 are boys! One day I'll get back to purposeful breeding/hatching again ... but for now it's nice when by week 3 nobody pops a huge comb and grows monster feet/legs. :D

Back
Top Bottom