Official BYC Poll: What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

• PVC Pipe

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Branch(es)

Votes: 154 36.6%
  • Wooden Dowel Rod

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • Processed Wood with Rounded Corners

Votes: 51 12.1%
  • 2x4" Construction wood wide edge up

Votes: 210 49.9%
  • 2x4" Construction wood narrow edge up

Votes: 70 16.6%
  • Pre-made Plastic Roost Bars

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 55 13.1%

• Total voters
I have a 4x4, flat about 2.5 ft off the ground. I only have 7 birds at the moment, in an 8x10 chicken tractor. They like to rest down on their feet. No complaints so far.

mine are 5.2cm with rounded edges we sanded the edges all down so it is comfy for them, we experimented with a few sizes, but this is the best for our girls, these are skirting boards so you get a really great round side at the front!
9211651F-660A-46F5-9A08-3E1AE3FCD35B.jpeg

I use 1” x6” wood,.padded rubber.It was said chickens pick this width most,if given choice.Vet told me they should be padded,to avoid bummblfoot.
And they are the recommended height of 18”.There is also one low one for some who want it,only 6” high roost,in day they all use this one,or if arthritis in hip.

1”x6” wood padded rubber,recommend vet,to avoid bumblefoot.
18” high,as recommended here.Also,a 6” high roost for daytime or sore joints,is used all the time.
there is subordinate small food and water on one roost,as well.

It is unnatural for chickens to have "flat" roosts, as their feet are designed to wrap around small branches while they sleep. Years ago, someone wrote an article in POULTRY PRESS about using flat roosts for chickens, comparing chicken feet with human fingers! NOT!!! In the wild, chickens use tree branches, not 2x4s. That old article still sticks in my craw as many folks still believe it. If you don't believe me, ask your chickens... Chickens will use what they find, whether square, round or trapazoidal.
I understand that but I have seen chickens in Wisconsin that don’t have toes or feet due to the roosts the people use (branches, dowels, etc.). It is very heartbreaking to see chickens running on nubs.
2x4s prevent frostbite to the feet in the -30°F Wisconsin weeks.

I was the one who suggested this poll because I was curious on what people use for roosts. And especially WHY?
As in many choices we make for our chickens , its obvious that there are some things that play a role in the type of roost that’s good or not so good.
  • The climate (frozen toes)
  • The size of the breed (or mix)
  • Costs and what’s available
  • ... and for me the bird mite infestation
One thing that is important for all of us to consider is that the roost should have grip (not smooth and round) and no sharp edges (causing foot injuries) Which is easy to deal with some sanding.

And we didn’t even discuss the height!

Thank you all for you’re contributions.

Back
Top Bottom