Official BYC Poll: What type of incubator do you use?

What type of incubator do you use?

• Total voters
I’ve only hatched once and I used a Little Giant still air. Horrible experience, would not recommend or use still air ever again! I had to add a handheld mini fan to make it work. I ended up having a good hatch, but man, it took some work!
If you don’t mind me asking, what was the problem that you needed to add a fan?
I’m currently using a little giant still air. It works fine. I won’t be able give it a review one way or the other unless I try a different incubator it held humidity well. My one complaint is that it’s very hard to fill the waterwells if you have the auto turner that is a pain. The temp holds fairly steady but it has spiked some but that may be because the room temp wasn’t steady which is why I’m holding my verdict for now. It has worked though I’m going into lockdown today and 31 out of 32 fertile eggs seem to be doing great. I will say that from looking at reviews that there is definitely a difference in quality between different models of the little giants which is part of reason why most people seem to love or hate them.

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the problem that you needed to add a fan?
I’m currently using a little giant still air. It works fine. I won’t be able give it a review one way or the other unless I try a different incubator it held humidity well. My one complaint is that it’s very hard to fill the waterwells if you have the auto turner that is a pain. The temp holds fairly steady but it has spiked some but that may be because the room temp wasn’t steady which is why I’m holding my verdict for now. It has worked though I’m going into lockdown today and 31 out of 32 fertile eggs seem to be doing great. I will say that from looking at reviews that there is definitely a difference in quality between different models of the little giants which is part of reason why most people seem to love or hate them.
The problem was hot and cold spots and the temperature varied wildly from one part of the incubator to another. This is a common problem with still air incubators. If there's nothing to move the air around and force it to mix, the areas immediately around the heating element get hot, while the periphery stays cold. Regardless of the outside temperature. I was getting temperature differences on the order of 97 degrees in some parts and 104 degrees in other parts. 97 is too low for incubation to begin, and at 104 the embryos can die. If you only have a couple of eggs, you could find the sweet spot and only place eggs there, and do fine without a fan. But I had a lot of eggs and some were inevitably in the hot zone, and some in the cold zone. Things got a lot better after I added the fan. Still not even, but the amplitude was much smaller. My last hatch, the variation was between 98 and 101 - not ideal, but the eggs still hatched, which is proof that it doesn't have to be perfect. But anything above or below that would really be pushing it.

To fill the water wells, I use a long piece of aquarium tubing, and a condiment bottle like the kinds they have for ketchup at diners and food trucks. Grocery stores usually sell them empty. I snake the tubing through one of the vent holes, down through the mesh floor of the incubator and into the water well, and I pump water in with the bottle. Then I pull the tubing out, put it through another hole to fill another water well, and so on, all without opening the incubator. For lockdown, I also add a small baby food jar full of water with a sponge in it, sticking out a bit. The sponge wicks the water out of the jar and provides a lot of surface area for the water to evaporate, for the higher humidity needed for lockdown.

The problem was hot and cold spots and the temperature varied wildly from one part of the incubator to another. This is a common problem with still air incubators. If there's nothing to move the air around and force it to mix, the areas immediately around the heating element get hot, while the periphery stays cold. Regardless of the outside temperature. I was getting temperature differences on the order of 97 degrees in some parts and 104 degrees in other parts. 97 is too low for incubation to begin, and at 104 the embryos can die. If you only have a couple of eggs, you could find the sweet spot and only place eggs there, and do fine without a fan. But I had a lot of eggs and some were inevitably in the hot zone, and some in the cold zone. Things got a lot better after I added the fan. Still not even, but the amplitude was much smaller. My last hatch, the variation was between 98 and 101 - not ideal, but the eggs still hatched, which is proof that it doesn't have to be perfect. But anything above or below that would really be pushing it.

To fill the water wells, I use a long piece of aquarium tubing, and a condiment bottle like the kinds they have for ketchup at diners and food trucks. Grocery stores usually sell them empty. I snake the tubing through one of the vent holes, down through the mesh floor of the incubator and into the water well, and I pump water in with the bottle. Then I pull the tubing out, put it through another hole to fill another water well, and so on, all without opening the incubator. For lockdown, I also add a small baby food jar full of water with a sponge in it, sticking out a bit. The sponge wicks the water out of the jar and provides a lot of surface area for the water to evaporate, for the higher humidity needed for lockdown.
Okay. I didn’t have a significant problem with that in mine. No variations of more than a degree in different spots.

Do you incubate eggs?

Please select an option or two on the poll above and comment below on what brand and model too, if store bought.

If you choose other please tell me exactly what kind you use and I will add it as an option.

View attachment 2326527

While you're at it why not show off your skills by entering our 2020 Home-Made Feeder, Waterer, Incubator, & Brooder Contest - And Win A Brand New Brinsea Brooder!

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I've never hatched my own chicks - neither by brooder or by hen.

I have both a still air, I have no idea what brand, and a Brinsea forced air, not sure what type, but before them I made a DIY incubator with a plastic tub and some other things and the eggs made it to day 18 but didnt hatch. :(

Brinsea maxi ii advance
First time hatching. Have had chickens but never hatched. I did try a cheapy off amazon first to hatch with devastating results. Very happy with brinsea. Chicks hatch this week.

Do you incubate eggs?

Please select an option or two on the poll above and comment below on what brand and model too, if store bought.

If you choose other please tell me exactly what kind you use and I will add it as an option.

View attachment 2326527

While you're at it why not show off your skills by entering our 2020 Home-Made Feeder, Waterer, Incubator, & Brooder Contest - And Win A Brand New Brinsea Brooder!

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
It is a great purchase for a beginner. I like it because it is light, easy to move, looks nice wherever you put it (indoors). You must be very, very careful with it because the whole unit is styfoam. Easy, gentle clean with a water hose and toothbrush. I saved the box that it arrived in and when I am done I can store it back safely until next use. I have used mine five times in one year and it is in great condition still. I'm very pleased with this product. I will be purchasing another one. I highly reccomend. Tootles!

Attachments

• WorthThe$.jpg
    WorthThe$.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom