Official BYC Poll: Where Do Your Chickens Dust Bathe?

Where Do Your Chickens Dust Bathe?

• On the sand/dirt floor in coop or run

Votes: 171 44.1%
  • In a large pot or bowl with sand in a dry spot

Votes: 48 12.4%
  • They make their own dust bath wherever they like

Votes: 284 73.2%
  • They always have access to a dry area to take a dust bath

Votes: 106 27.3%
  • They don’t / can’t take dust baths

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • They make me mad digging holes in my garden

Votes: 72 18.6%
  • What's a dust bath?

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 36 9.3%

• Total voters
Pics

Attachments

• PXL_20210222_194848753.jpg
    PXL_20210222_194848753.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
They dig dustbath holes anywhere they please within their pen.

Sometimes they go for the driest dirt under the big pines. Something they go for the more humous-rich dirt near the access door.

Sometimes they dig holes at random for no reason I can determine as a mere human.
Where mine bathe to every now and than I kinda till up the ground in all pens when ground is hard and not easy for them to scratch in so they can play in nice soft dirt instead

I have an old 18 wheeler brake drum I keep filled with sand. The drum is in the main covered run and when they are locked in there they still dig holes all over. When I open the gate to let them out they dig willy nilley in both runs. I have to rake the covered run about once a month just so I don't break my ankle when I go in it.

I have an old 18 wheeler brake drum I keep filled with sand. The drum is in the main covered run and when they are locked in there they still dig holes all over. When I open the gate to let them out they dig willy nilley in both runs. I have to rake the covered run about once a month just so I don't break my ankle when I go in it.
I gave them an old tire dust bath under their coop for 5 months and they dig and bathe anywhere else !! Sometimes I have to jam the gate open cause they've moved so much dirt! Little excavating buggars

Back
Top Bottom