Official BYC Poll: Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

• Lice/Mites/Fleas

Votes: 94 42.7%
  • Intestinal worms

Votes: 49 22.3%
  • Coccidiosis

Votes: 70 31.8%
  • Marek's disease

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • Bumblefoot

Votes: 84 38.2%
  • Avian Influenza

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Vent Gleet

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Newcastle disease

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Fowl Pox

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • Mycoplasma gallisepticum

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Coryza

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Salpingitis

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • They've been healthy!

Votes: 59 26.8%
  • Impacted/Sour Crop

Votes: 40 18.2%
  • Flystrike

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Ascites

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Frostbite

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 27 12.3%

• Total voters
There are several diseases and health conditions that chickens commonly suffer from. Chickens can suffer from severe health problems for days or even weeks on end without being detected, whereas others may die within hours of being afflicted. So we would like to know: Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2852192

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I’ve lost two ISA hens. One due to ovarian cancer and that was possibly the cause of the other hens death.

There are several diseases and health conditions that chickens commonly suffer from. Chickens can suffer from severe health problems for days or even weeks on end without being detected, whereas others may die within hours of being afflicted. So we would like to know: Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2852192

Further Reading:
Disease-wise, all have been healthy. No lice or mites, either. I did have two chickens mysteriously dead several days ago. There were no signs of predation anywhere. After watching them as closely as I could without a magnifying glass, I discovered the cause: One of the RIRs was pulling tail feathers out of

View attachment 2852192

Further Reading:

View attachment 2852192

Further Reading:
I chose “Other” because our difficulty hasn’t been disease, but RIRs pecking the Cornish X chickens so badly, that we had two that bled to death. I knew chickens could be blood thirsty, but had no idea this could happen. One who lived actually had half of her tail chewed off, and was bleeding bright red. It took 10 minutes holding pressure, then covering the whole area with Bag Balm to stop it. She was then placed in isolation to keep her calm and away from the others. All the Cornish were separated from the general population for the time being. She has rejoined her friends after a two-day stay in “hospital”. They are such sweet chickens, that they won’t defend themselves. I know which RIR is the culprit and she will be culled when I can catch her. I feel like this is my fault. We’re trying so hard to get their home fixed, secure, and ready, that maybe I wasn’t as vigilant as I should have been.

View attachment 2852192

Further Reading:
I had a really horrible run of luck buying chicks and turkeys from tractor supply. I ended up losing 13 birds altogether. I sent 3 off to our local lab that tested them. They all came back positive for Mycoplasm Synovea. Luckily all those birds came out of 1 coop so it is now a closed coop and all my other coops are no where near it. As for the Mereks Disease I lost 1 bird to it from including the Turkey pults that carried it in that also came from Tractor Supply. Needless to say we hatch all our own birds now. But now the MS is under control and all my girls are happy and healthy and gets ivermec every 4 months for mite maintenance.

I rescued 4 older birds that had scaly leg mites & we've battled coccidiosis (almost misdiagnosed due to black blood in stool instead of bright red blood), as well as gapeworm. Otherwise, healthy birds.

We had one batch (of many) Cornish x come down with coccidiosis, but they recovered quickly. Other than that, we've had healthy birds.

Back
Top Bottom