Official BYC Poll: Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

• Lice/Mites/Fleas

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • Intestinal worms

Votes: 49 22.5%
  • Coccidiosis

Votes: 69 31.7%
  • Marek's disease

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • Bumblefoot

Votes: 83 38.1%
  • Avian Influenza

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Vent Gleet

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Newcastle disease

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Fowl Pox

Votes: 27 12.4%
  • Mycoplasma gallisepticum

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Coryza

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Salpingitis

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • They've been healthy!

Votes: 59 27.1%
  • Impacted/Sour Crop

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Flystrike

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Ascites

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Frostbite

Votes: 22 10.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 27 12.4%

• Total voters
Pics
I lost an entire flock to Newcastle, it happened before they were vaccinated. Had to desinfect and wait for a while to get new birds. I also had a mild case of coccidiosis in my current flock, however as I elaborate in one of my threads, one bird got sick and died, and we (the vet and I) do not know what it was that she had, given we couldn't do a necropsy due to local conditions related to the pandemic.

My neighbors diagnosed my new rooster with "Noisy Early Bird Syndrome", and politely informed me that the cure was to re-home him. I did with haste.
(joking :p)

My flock has been pretty healthy this year, only thing was I had an old tom die of a heart attack. No mites yet, thankfully.

I have lost one BSL to Egg Yolk Peritonitis and recently my 2 year old GLW to a tumor and my 7.5 EE to Abdominal Cancer. I think getting them to 7.5 years though you will start to see a lot more things.. especially the older they get

Other: Mystery illnesses. Never could name the issues, but I knew they were there. Without any symptoms, I've had multiple hens suddenly drop dead.

Also, I think it's called MG? Plus respiratory illnesses.

The most problems I’ve had with my flocks in heart disorders. The one problem about those is that as soon as you know one of your chick/ens has it it’s already to late. I lost one hen from a heart attack, and two chicks from heart failure.
I’ve also had a few cuts on the bottom of their feet that I bathed in Epsom salts to stop them from turning into bumble foot.

Apart from those my flock as been very healthy.

There are several diseases and health conditions that chickens commonly suffer from. Chickens can suffer from severe health problems for days or even weeks on end without being detected, whereas others may die within hours of being afflicted. So we would like to know: Which of these health problems has affected your flock?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2852192

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
One of my hens had vent gleet (which we caught pretty early) and we treated it. It seemed like it had healed but I went out to my coop one afternoon and she had passed away from something internal that we couldn’t tell was happening.
My first hen to pass wasn’t as alert as usual so we took her to the vet and they said it was either peritonitis or a tumor so we pilled her for 2 weeks, but it ended up being a tumor. She wouldn’t move from the nesting box all day and sadly passed away one morning.
We also have a hen who had bumble foot which is now cured. Those are the only issues we’ve had, so we’re pretty lucky that we haven’t had anything else.

I'm so glad that Marek's disease doesn't have so many votes. It's a terrible disease and I'm super afraid of one of my chickens getting it again.

I responded 'Other' because I have a rooster with what seems to be a neurological condition related to an infection. A few months ago, he started drooling and shaking his head and eventually lost balance and coordination. The vet doesn't know what it is, he simply gave him antibiotics blindly, and luckily the bird is improving... sorta.

But no diagnosis so far.

Back
Top Bottom