Official BYC Poll: Which waterer is better: Nipples or cups?

Which waterer is best for less mess?

• Total voters
Pics
Well seeing I’m waiting for the arrival for my first time 6 and 8 week old chicks this topic is part of my ongoing research. I’ve raised pigeons and quail but new to chickens. The constant dirt in those open base waterers was always a concern of mine. I’m leaning toward the HN.
A great thread and discussion.
Thanks
Stepnout

I've tried just about every set up under the hen during the last few years. I've found the nipples dehydrated some of my birds while others did just fine with it. I won't be using them again. Cups did much better, however, get like to collect sediment from when they scratch and it almost seemed I had to push the tab down some days or the flock wouldn't know what to do. The traditional waterer worked great as they do, mine like to poop in there regardless of how I had it. So far I've had the best, no issues luck with just some plain black rubber livestock bowls (The small ones).

Contrary to what I've read up above this, there is absolutely no BEST way...even thinking that is ridiculous. If this was a trip into space, yes there would indeed be a 'best' way', however, this is a chicken forum. Use what you can afford, feel comfortable with, what your flock prefers/likes the best and what is easiest to keep sanitary.

I just started using cups for my 2 month old chicks. The can't seem to figure it out. They drink all the water and when I check on them, the cups are dry. If I refill them the chicks come running to drink again.
Maybe the cups I got are not good quality and the mechanism isn't sensitive enough?

I just started using cups for my 2 month old chicks. The can't seem to figure it out. They drink all the water and when I check on them, the cups are dry. If I refill them the chicks come running to drink again.
Maybe the cups I got are not good quality and the mechanism isn't sensitive enough?
It takes time for them to figure it out...some 'get it' within hours, others can take weeks.

I'm not a fan of the nipple system. Tried it this summer, hoping that it would provide a cleaner water system, and save water. Though, the water is cleaner, it turned the coop into a swamp right where they were drinking. Half of the water ends up in the bird, half on the ground. You need a good drainage system if you use nipples without a cup under them. Between that and how quickly they freeze, I went back to the open bucket method.

Also, I had a few instances where the birds pulled the metal part of the nipple out, and the whole bucket drained.

I'm not a fan of the nipple system. Tried it this summer, hoping that it would provide a cleaner water system, and save water. Though, the water is cleaner, it turned the coop into a swamp right where they were drinking. Half of the water ends up in the bird, half on the ground. You need a good drainage system if you use nipples without a cup under them. Between that and how quickly they freeze, I went back to the open bucket method.

Also, I had a few instances where the birds pulled the metal part of the nipple out, and the whole bucket drained.
Vertical nipples(on bottom of vessel) can leak bad,
especially if they are not installed correctly.

Sorry I'm late to the thread!
Let me first say that i have used only traditional waterers and cups. So while i voted cups, i don't have anything against nipples. I feel like a cup is really just a nipple with a catcher...
Here's my two cup waterers!
(I believe the first post said 4 inch pvc l shape yeah?)
20180512_075906.jpg 20180512_075919.jpg 20180512_080002.jpg
And yes, the coop cups will get a better stand in about a week when the semester is over!:barnie
So other than that i have two traditiinal waterers in the yard, and "post sprinkling" dew drops. The chickens will drink any and all of these waters, but they like the fresh stuff the best. Rain water or hose water doesn't matter. They drink it off the side of the planter box, off the garden fence, off the grass, you name it. When SavKel waters plants she has to water a spot on the lawn for them to drink- it's not as bad as oatmeal, but they are very persistent abiut their treats!
But back on topic...
For the four cups we use, the right coop cup leaks into the cup sometimes. It fills, but doesn't overfill.
The other three stay dry until pressed. Our eldest birds took maybe a week tonget a hold on the cups? I would hold the lever to partially fill the cup, and they would drink what they saw. Our four week old male was the first one to try to get the last drop of water underneath the yellow lever, only to realize it never disappeared. Once he caught on, the others werent far behind. I believe it could be done in less than a week with removal of traditional waterers, but i didnt want to chance dehydration. Our second batch of birds learned from the first set. Didn't even introduce them.
Hope that helps!
Ryn.

We live in south Florida, so while the water freezing is never a concern, our chickens getting plenty of fresh water is a problem. The summers can be brutal. I replaced our nipple waterers with traditional 2 gallon plastic waterers. That assured they get sufficient water. Then, to be sure the water is fresh (it's incredible how fast mold/algae grows in this hot, humid climate), I replace the water every morning and every evening in all 4 waterers. I do not fill the 2-gallon tanks with water; I just refill the bottom trays. While I fill the bottom trays, enough water goes into the tanks to be sure the chix have enough water for the day, and the water remains clean (well...as clean as chicken water can be). This has also helped keep my chickens healthy. They were exposed to mycoplasma last year, and while they no longer have any symptoms, I always worry they will suffer another outbreak. It seems that changing the water so often makes it less likely that they pass bacteria around. Just my observation, not scientific....

Back
Top Bottom