Official BYC Poll: Which waterer is better: Nipples or cups?

Which waterer is best for less mess?

• Total voters
I have to try my older chicks on the horizontal nipple drinker again and see how it goes. They would hit it but not take enough out of it to stay hydrated outside. I had to put a regular drinker waterer you know the plastic old style outside too due to the heat in MS because I couldn’t risk them dying on me from not taking enough in.

I have to try my older chicks on the horizontal nipple drinker again and see how it goes. They would hit it but not take enough out of it to stay hydrated outside. I had to put a regular drinker waterer you know the plastic old style outside too due to the heat in MS because I couldn’t risk them dying on me from not taking enough in.
Do not try to switch to nipples in extreme temps.

I bought a 3gallon bucket with 4 vertical nipples and I love it and keep it hanging in the run. My old-fashioned galvanized waterer hangs in the coop about 6" off the floor.All is good in Folsom chicken prison!

I set up a 2 gal bucket and a ~24" PVC run with 4 drinking cups. I was a little worried as the cups didn't seem to fill and the chickens were struggling to get every drop from the very bottom of the cup. With the recent heat wave this was obviously a concern.

Then I realized the issue: I was only filling the bucket to a few inches above the outlet, as I intended to clean it every couple days. My son inadvertently filled the bucket to the top, and now with the added pressure the cups fill very quickly.

Now the battle has turned to algae growth!

Do not try to switch to nipples in extreme temps.
That’s for sure. I won’t be trying anything new in them again either. I just put both down at the same time and I never did have only the nipple drinkers down as the only source. I was afraid to do that. I kept both down but I tested the nipples and wasn’t satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom