Featured Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens - Select All That Apply

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Pets

1,698 vote(s)
    71.5%
  2. Eggs

2,211 vote(s)
    93.1%
  3. Meat

628 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. Fertilizer

907 vote(s)
    38.2%
  5. Bug Control

1,003 vote(s)
    42.2%
  6. More interesting and/or easy than other animals

628 vote(s)
    26.4%
  7. Other (please specify in reply comments)

255 vote(s)
    10.7%
  8. Showing & Exhibition

216 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I was speaking with a reporter today and he asked why people raise chickens. I'm hoping with this poll that we can get an idea of the % of people that raise chickens for different purposes.

Please select all that apply!

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    Nessabfly, MiBirds, Chaos18 and 9 others like this.

2. brooster

brooster Songster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    You should add showing/exhibition

3. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I love to cook and it's the secret ingredient in my creme brulee, eggs benedict and other egg dishes.

Also because I love to be in my backyard to relax. It's just one more thing to 'do' while I'm out there.

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I raise them for pets, eggs, bug control, etc but also for 4-H for my kids. So that was my "other" vote. I guess it would fall under the "showing/exhibition" category also.

Sparkle110 and Cadbury22 like this.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My other was 4H showing also [​IMG]

Sparkle110 likes this.
  6. anngili

anngili Songster

I also got the chickens for my dog as well. She's a Border Collie trained to herd sheep but she's gotten too old (eyes, ears, and back all degenerating) for safely herding sheep, so... . Also, I can blame some of it on my Dad and stepmother, who have had backyard chickens for a while.
    The dog and I are both quite happy to watch the chickens for quite a while. However, I always have to go work on something; my dog thinks watching the chickens is her work and she loves every minute of it! She LOVES her chickens!![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    They're beautiful and interesting birds.

MiBirds, sunetc, Cadbury22 and 2 others like this.

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Therapy. For the short time I went without chickens my anxiety was worse than it ever was. They give me something to care for, something to hold with nice soft feathers to hide my face in when I can't look at the world, and something to watch which is so much more relaxing than anything else I can think of. I suppose most people have dogs and cats for that purpose, and I do have dogs, but in my case it's the birds that help me the most. That's in addition to the other things I marked on the poll, but for me the therapy is the biggest thing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  9. chick4chix

chick4chix Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I love to cook...I love to garden...I love colorful birds...
    Chickens are the perfect pet- they are beautiful to look at, relaxing and funny to watch, fun to feed and observe their antics. They add bountiful fertilizer to the garden, they add delicious eggs to the table, they are living garden art, they eat our kitchen scraps. What's not to love? OH- and they don't go on barking or meowing escapades at 2 in the morning.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Darn, I totally forgot showing/exhibition!! I knew I was forgetting a big one!

It has been added. I'll mentally allocate a few of the "others" to that category.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by