Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 804 77.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 922 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 314 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 292 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.5%

• Total voters
Pics
So my wife decided she wanted chickens, then she passed away (brain cancer). I promised her I would take care of her prize Yorkie's (only 1 now started with 2) and chickens (only six of eight left). The eggs I generally give away most of them.

Best answer yet. :hugs Blessings to you, sorry for your loss.

1 Banty - Mrs Banty - (broody at the moment); 1 Vorwerk - Greta (hatched by Mrs Banty); 1 Buff Orpington - Evie (hatched by Mrs Banty); 2 Bluebelles - Blue and Bell. They arrived last year to join our little flock. They all brighten my day. They make me laugh. They are so interesting to watch. They are so inquisitive. They have such varied characters. I talk to them (they haven't started talking back yet). They provide fantastic eggs. I want more chickens. Don't know if that will ever happen as it will mean moving house.

I'm an Other. I have chickens primarily because in the suburbs of a very metropolitan city they make me feel grounded and happy. And it's not just me. Anyone who hears that I have chickens -- and the word spread FAST -- has a big smile on their face when they ask about them. My grandson also gets to see life happen -- both the births and the deaths.

It's part of the same thing as planting a veggie garden and baking bread: it reminds me of what life's all about and that I can make it manageable and productive and that I'm responsible for the quality of my life.

Plus, I like knowing that when we enjoy the eggs they came from chickens who have the best life I can give them.
I wonder Rainy, what is an Other?

Stared out just wanting them for eggs, then I just fell in love with them from there. I love watching them going all over the yard. They put themselves up at night I just go close the door. I also love watching them run up to me when I yell Here chick chicken! They know they are getting a treat and when you talk to them they cock their little head like they are really listening to you. They are funny and entertaining and I am just loving having them around!

The eggs are nice, but really, I ended up obtaining them because it would be something to fuss over, to distract me from my diabetes. The condition was a pain to get used to, but the chickens -- and, more than anything, my family -- helped a lot, I think.
The guineas came next... I can't stand ticks, and guineas are just cool.
It started with six ISA Browns... now, about four years later, I have 18 chickens and three guineas. And I still want more!
They are like potato chips, you can’t have just one or four or ten, don’t judge me! Lol 😂 I have 20 right now and about 80 more coming soon! I don’t have any guineas, yet. Lol

we used to have them when I was younger . Now that I'm retired it gives me something to do besides having them around for ALL the other reasons mentioned for having chickens .I just like having them around and like raising them. I'm in the process of getting an incubator so I want have to keep buying chickens .They do get to be a little pricey at times. I could have already bought an incubator for the amount of chickens I have have purchased, but I enjoy them.

Our initial plan was to cycle them out and get new ones every few years. But then they all got names, and we kept getting more, and now they're my emotional support gang. They're all so special, idk what I'd do with my life if we didn't have chickens.
44868C46-5859-4E5F-A10C-6329DEE6B5A9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom